Wednesday, August 7, 2024

MidWeek Struggles

Waiting for friends to play with
Am I better? I don't know. My sciatica continues to fuck with me, mostly when I first wake and on days I'm not active enough. Or more bluntly phrased, on days that I don't go to the gym. Because my gym routine has been cardio-heavy, I feel that that makes up for the many days I don't exercise although just my general daily routine (taking pups to the park, shopping, mild yard work) isn't enough to keep a sciatic flare up from happening later in the day. 

Today, I take an unopened bag of dog kibble to the local pet shelter. It's a reputable brand that I thought my pups liked, but I was wrong. Only one of them will eat it, and only if mixed with his regular kibble. The other pup sniffs it and walks away. They are the most finicky canines I have ever met. I also brought my two boxes of generic timolol maleate for dogs and cats that have glaucoma. I'm definitely allergic to that but more tolerant of the name-brand version, Timoptic. Proof that generics aren't the same as name brands.

I still get to the gym earlier than usual and I have my pick of the Precor ellipticals. Wind Breaker comes late and I'm secretly relieved that he's made it. He's become a sort of cardio fixture, showing up every day that I've been there. The FitBit battery life is getting worse, with a span of approximately 12 hours now. It's a good thing I don't rely on it. Seriously. And I have no idea when that label will arrive that allows me to ship it back to the manufacturer to be replaced. Feels like that's going to take several weeks as well... Yeah, not at all impressed with Google products. 

The HS and college kids don't trickle in until later. I'm finding that Tuesdays and Thursdays are much busier now, with everyone avoiding the MWF Senior classes. Someone from the early morning group is ambling about with his phone. He makes a foray onto the cardio platform for no good reason other than to get my attention by walking close to the ellipticals. People in that group are one of the reasons I don't go to the gym earlier in the day, but perhaps they haven't realized that... It's not a social club for me the way it is for some.

I had a decent night's sleep but I was really struggling on cardio today. I didn't make it to 2.8 and eventually the FitBit confirms that my HR peaked at 116. Pull-ups were okay, but I've done better in the not so distant past. I have to drop my speed on the stair machine after 5 minutes. It's alarming that the handle button for the Stop function doesn't work and I have to tap the console instead, but this is only an issue on the Left machine (I usually use the Right machine). A kid was just exiting that, and the unspoken ick factor says you skip over the "hot" station unless it's the only one available. I notice that at the end of a line of recumbent and stationery bikes, there is the addition of a regular touring bike, but stationery. That's new!

The cross-trainer is not better today. I'm on a different machine and this one grinds angrily when I try to pedal backward during the cool down. Oh well. At least I survived all 25 minutes even though my stomach was grumbling angrily. That's relatively new as well. Normally I get hunger pangs in spurts but never noisy rumbles! 

I do everything I need to do in the nicely air-conditioned Aerobics Room. Everything except the Wall Sits: I just don't have the energy. Stupid beta blocker. Stupid sciatica. I can taste and smell the briny ocean; no it's just me being absolutely drenched from all the cardio. I took a dose of gabapentin before bed but skipped the ibuprofen. My stomach developed a dull ache after I took some and my digestive tract hasn't been the same since. I have dosed myself a few more times with NSAIDs to reduce the inflammation that occurs when I'm stationery for too long, like when I'm sleeping. Should I be worried?

Last night was the first night I slept back in my bed although I haven't spoken to the husband since I yelled at him Monday morning. I shared the sofa with one of the dogs Monday and Tuesday night: it's cooler in the living room and the sofa is moderately better for my sciatica. But mostly because my husband, like a petulant child, got mildly drunk Monday night and when he drinks, he snores loudly and acts out in his sleep. 

I'm so angry with him that even though he was sober Tuesday and this morning, I can't look at him or talk to him. In a few days I might be calmer. He's away but back on Friday. We have tickets to see Lindsey Stirling on Saturday. She puts on a spectacular show with costumes and choreography so I'm hoping that the tix I bought will allow us a better view than last time when we had nosebleed seats (different venue)... I'm fully prepared to take my kid by myself and leave the husband home if he hasn't gotten his shit together.  



7 August 11:28-
Wednesday— All Cardio
Timolol / sciatica / gabapentin
Rain all week

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5412)
Distance: 2.78
Cal: 306
Avg Hr: 137, 188-77/76
?? Fitbit: 50-116 (!)

HGPU 15 (5 partials)

Matrix StairMaster (L)
Manual 10 min 10 sec (handle stop non functional)
Speed 6 (52-55) / 4 (40-38)
Steps 471
Floors 29
Cal 70
Hr? 100

HGPU 15

Life Fitness X-Trainer #4
Program Manual L1
Time: 20+5 (skip reverse grinds)
Distance: 2.20
Cal: 189
Avg Hr: 110

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
10 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...