Friday, July 5, 2024

Inertia Might Be Winning

It's been progressively hotter and more humid as the week wears on. It's also as if I've taken a long weekend mid-week since I haven't exercised since Monday. This is of course because I had appointments to ferry my kid to for 2 of the 3 days, and the 3rd day was the Fourth of July. Granted, the gym was open for limited hours but I couldn't get my act together to make it there in a timely manner. 


I spent the holiday with the windows closed, the a/c and all the fans on high, and the TV blaring. I still had to dose one of the dogs with the OTC calming chews I bought from Tractor Supply Company. My dog won't chew them but they're small enough for me to shove them two at a time down his throat. I'm glad he has a big throat and is very passive about me manhandling him.

I know today is going to suck, if only because it's been 3 days since the last time I did cardio. The parking lot is crowded but not the gym. Probably the movie theater next door since it is actually summer! I'm right: cardio sucks and I barely make it to 2.8. Well, the pull-ups are just slightly better even though it's the same 15 reps, which isn't great. But it was only the last rep that sucked. The gym is filling up with kids. They come the same time every day regardless of whether there's school or not.

My own kid isn't even awake yet as he went to a friend's pool party and was out until the wee hours. I'm glad he has friends, kids he's known throughout HS and some even from grade school. I never had that luxury and always felt jealous of those movie moments. I'm hoping that those are friends my kid can rely on and relate to even as the years pass. A happy life is about connections and I want my kid to be happy.

Both cable stations are surrounded by HS kids but I'm able to claim a Seated Cable Row and get my sets done. Then I move to a breaker bench and do triceps. I had a momentary thought to do the DB Shoulder routine, which is something I like to do on Fridays, but that area is a bit too crowded and I don't want to wait around or have to dodge too many aimless teens.

There are strangers in the Aerobics room but their routines don't last more than a few minutes. I get all my exercises done, including the Wall Sits. I'm disappointed that this used to be easier for me. I see my glaucoma doc on Monday so I'll get to find out if this beta-blocker drug, timolol, is actually keeping my IOPs low, or not. 

I also need to take my kid to the orthodontist next week. And the next day he's schedule to get his wisdom teeth out. Ugh. Glad it's not me. I had mine done in my late 20s and I went by myself to oral surgeons with an office in the old Dime Savings Bank building. They used nitrous, aka laughing gas. They were very nice doctors who told bad jokes. It was fine.

5 July 11:54-1:50
End of the Week Friday

Precor elliptical #1 (Struggling)
Program 2
Time: 30+5 (5460)
Distance: 2.80
Cal: 309
Avg Hr: 140,190-108
Fitbit: 50-120 (!)

HGPU 14 + 1/2

Seated Cable Rows (12:42)
50 lbs x 15
60 x 15
70 x 15, 15, 15 (1:00)

BB Rip / Skulls Crusher combo 30 lbs
(Each set = 24 reps)
12/12 reps x 3 sets

20 Hip Bridges (1:20)
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
10 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 150 sec (1:47-1:50)

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...