Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Heat Advisory Tuesday

Dash after a few hours in the sun
I took the pups to the park this morning and was slightly surprised not to see kids waiting for camp to start. And then I remembered the heat advisory I got on the weather app when I woke up. Too hot for summer camp. It's pleasant in the park as long as none of us are exerting ourselves. Yesterday, the plumbers came and replaced my 25-yr old well tank, as well as the undersized sediment filter, and removed the defunct water softening system. That system consisted of two sets of resin tanks and a big salt tank. It took up a lot of room and hadn't worked in years. The company that had installed the system said their policy was not to repair a system more than twice. No, they'd rather sell you a brand new system. And I said, well in that case I guess we have nothing to talk about.

While all this plumbing was occurring, the town decided it was time to repave our road. They didn't actually finish that until today. And while it's great to have all those potholes filled, it'd be nice to have known ahead of time. It's been blistering hot and I have a hard time leaving the house. My kid has an orthodontist appointment and a follow-up to his wisdom teeth operation. Two different appointments on two different days. Which is why I have to go to the gym today even though I'd be perfectly happy to stay home.

The parking lot is full because it's Tuesday and the local cinema has $5 tickets for all shows. It's a good deal. I used to take my kid to see all the summer movies when he was little. The gym isn't very crowded when I arrive and I actually manage to get on elliptical #1. I'm having a hard time getting myself up to speed though. And the FitBit has been acting weirdly today, with the screen displaying a poltergeist blank white. That might've happened when I washed dishes before I left the house. My phone also seems to be having trouble connecting with the wi-fi, and I do a hard reboot. Maybe it's the heat? Or that the earth is slowing it's rotation?

My struggle with cardio means I don't make it to 2.8. Ugh. My FitBit doesn't tell me anything but I'm hoping that it's recording my data and storing it until I can get the phone app to access the device. Pull-ups are disappointing, but I'm still relieved that I got past a dozen, but just barely. Teenagers have trickled in and both cable stations are occupied. There are plates on the Olympic bars on abandoned benches. I hate it when people just walk away without re-racking their plates! I decide to do the DB Shoulder routine because I hadn't done it in a while, and there was an inclined breaker bench available.

As usual, as I warm up, I get stronger. Which means for my very last set, I see if I can get more than 25 reps. Not possible with the DB Presses where my arms get a bit wobbly, or Lateral Raises (the shoulders and elbows start to complain), but Reverse Inclined Flyes don't suffer from these constraints. While not hitting a traditional AMRAP, I do manage to get to 30 reps. Good enough for today. 

There are a surprising number of women in the Aerobics Room, all doing their own thing. I grab a mat and do my thing. The hip bridges are always a relief for the tight sciatic area. Dead Bugs, push-ups and even Wall Sits feel easy. That's not surprising, considering it's been 3 days since I last taxed these muscles. There's a chance I'm back tomorrow, but it's unlikely. I really hate being out in the heat and I've already got enough bug bites as it is... 

I am going to do an experiment (on myself, of course) and use the generic timolol eye drops for the next two days, but in the revised order that I'm using with Timoptic. The generic timolol is cheaper, and if changing the order of application means I'm not nearly as allergic, then it's worth the experiment. Besides, it's only for two days. I still have all my generic drops even though I reached out to senior dog sanctuaries. 

None of them currently have dogs with glaucoma that can use the drops. They'll accept the drops just in case, but I doubt they have the fridge space for something they aren't actually using. With this oppressive heat, I also don't want to send medication through the mail just to have it sit unused. Meanwhile, I'm still struggling with the heart rate lowering effects of this beta blocker. It's frustrating, but better than going blind.


16 July 12:05-1:58
Blazing Tuesday Inertia

Precor elliptical #1 (12:46 end)
Program 2
Time: 30+5 (5396)
Distance: 2.78
Cal: 306
Avg Hr: 145, 180-83
Fitbit:48-122

HGPU 14.5 (ugh!)

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 3 (30 flys)


20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch (1:36)
DeadBugs 20 x 5
10 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose (1:40)
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 150 sec (1:55-1:58)



No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...