Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Hitting the Reset Button

 

My eyes were bothering me so much that I decided to stop using the Timoptic for a week starting this past Sunday. Not using the beta blocker is having other effects as well. While I'm not able to reliably check my HR because the FitBit is virtually useless, my eyes are less irritated. So far, my BP hasn't risen noticeably although there was a marked improvement in cardio, as evidenced today on the elliptical. I did better than expected probably because I'm so used to slogging through my cardio workouts while on timolol. 

I can't trust the Precor HR monitor (HR max 207? I don't think so) and the FitBit battery life has declined so woefully that after 15 hrs, it needed desperate recharging. And you can't wear it while it charges so fairly useless. The monitor still arbitrarily switches between poltergeist white screen, faint normal screen, full normal screen with a sharp white line at the bottom, or no screen image at all. I contacted the company and since the device is still under warranty (it was a Christmas gift so it's been barely 6 months), and they are sending me a package to use for a return/exchange. Hopefully the new one will last longer.

It's slightly cooler today and there's the cloudy threat of rain. It rained last night and might rain again today. Or tomorrow. Or later this week. I take the dogs to the park and they are bored because none of their friends are there, but there are never any friends during the week. I get to the gym a tad earlier than usual and am happy that elliptical #2 is available. Wind Breaker is on #1 and I'm not bothering with #3 or #4. Eventually, another woman climbs onto #3. I guess no one likes #4. The parking lot is crowded because it's $5 Tuesday at the cinema, but the gym is fairly empty. At least until all the teens wake up. 

Although I don't get more pull-ups, I was able to get better pull-ups and only failed to get my chin above the bar during the last rep, the 15th. It was definitely less of a struggle today. And then I strolled over to the DB area and claimed an Inclined Breaker Bench and set up for the DB Shoulder routine. The area starts to get more crowded with regular folks and kids. I do recognize the regulars, but not the kids...

Maybe because I'd taken 3 days off, or maybe because the timolol was out of my system (half life is approximately 5 hours), I felt good enough to add 5 extra reps to my heaviest sets of reverse DB flys. In a past life, I had used heavier DBs for this one exercise. I could probably use 25s for DB Inclined Presses, but with less reps. DB Lateral Raises are stuck with 15s because the last sets always have me catching my breath between rep 12 and the remaining 3. Which means to me that it's heavy enough.

The Aerobics Room is surprisingly crowded when I step in. There's still plenty of room so I grab a mat and do my routine. Everything seems easier, including push-ups and air squats. The only thing that's harder is the Wall Sit. Not sure why, but I still get it done. Also, not sure if I'm going to the gym tomorrow. I should at least do cardio...before I start using the Timoptic again. Because I can pedal harder and faster, I get better mileage and actually feel physically much better. 

It sucks that meds meant to prevent bad things from happening in parts of your body have unintended side effects that ruin other parts of your life. I'm still on my other eye drops and the BP med, losartan. Meanwhile, my glaucoma doc wants me to agree to a drug implant called Durysta. I'm resistant because it might only replace 1 or 2 other drops and I'd still have to use drops, and if I have a bad reaction to it, I don't have much recourse. She's excited that in some patients, the implant worked to lower pressures for 6 months. But it can only be done once for each eye. It's great for patients who are non-compliant, but that's not me. So, I'm not sold on it... I might be if it meant I could stop the timolol.

My husband has been sober for the past several weeks and I'm pleasantly surprised, but of course, I can't actually say anything to him about it. Because he gets prickly and defensive about those things. But he's definitely looking physically better as well. He finally rejoined a gym, Planet Fitness, with the full membership that allows him to use gyms close to whatever job site he's at. He says the Boston PF is loads better than the one in our town, and he greatly appreciates the water massage equipment. (Oh, now I'm jealous. Kidding.)

My kid has recovered from his wisdom teeth extractions but of course the health insurance company sent me a letter saying they were disallowing reimbursement because their expert dentist determined that these extractions should be categorized differently. WTH? I'm leaving that mess to the oral surgeon's office to sort out since they're used to dealing with this BS. Meanwhile, my kid's dermatologist's office closed due to an electrical fire! Oh no!

23 July 11:48-1:48
Cool Drizzly Tuesday no timolol / no FitBit

Precor elliptical #2
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5754)
Distance: 2.89
Cal: 324
Avg Hr: 168, 207 max
  No Fitbit: low battery!

HGPU 14.5 (ugh!)

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/30 x 3

20 Hip Bridges 
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
10 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose (1:29)
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 150 sec


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...