Monday, July 8, 2024

Enervating Inertia

It's been hot and humid, even at night. It's hard to sleep unless I've got a fan blowing right on me. The dogs aren't very happy either, panting heavily after a quick zoomie through the park. I get to the gym too late to snag the preferred elliptical so I climb onto #3. It works mostly, but the timer is wonky and sporadically displays erratic digits. First it's 21:30 time remaining, and then it says 7. 7? And it stays at 7 for several seconds before I toggle the switch back and forth, from time remaining to time elapsed. 

It's a temporary fix that lasts for a few minutes but must be periodically reapplied. Also, there are no numbers displayed for the incline levels, although the program runs as it should, with appropriate inclines and declines. Although the gym is air conditioned, I'm still having a hard time pedaling. But it's not that I'm out of breath when I'm done. No, I just can't get my HR up enough to muster the energy to pedal faster. Ugh. However, I do make it past 2.8. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have enough energy to do more than 14 pull-ups. Well, that was disappointing. 

I also don't have a lot of time since there's a follow-up eye doc appointment in a few hours and I still need to shower and change. And the gym is in the opposite direction so that adds travel time. Which means while I sit down to do Seated Cable Rows, I only do one set at 70 lbs because I still want to do most of the core workout in the Aerobics Room. I've timed it so that as I finish the last set, I see the instructor from the Senior mobility class stroll out with a stack of chairs. The only exercise I skip are push-ups, especially since I know they tend to raise IOPs. And the reason I'm going to my eye doc is to check how my IOPs are after the SLTs and the addition of the timolol drug.

At my doctor's office, which I'm a few minutes late to, my IOPs are good, registering 12 and 14. I tell my doc I'm still allergic to the timolol but have lesser symptoms since I switched the order of application of eye drops. So, better, not great, but my IOPs are where we want them to be, so I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is the unrelenting heat and humidity of this coming week. I can't even imagine living somewhere hotter with more humidity. I am going to try to hit the gym tomorrow, and maybe Wednesday. What's off the table is Thursday because my kid is having his wisdom teeth out that morning. Glad it's not me.

8 July 11:47-1:08
Steamy Monday Slightly Abbreviated

Precor elliptical #3 errant timer/levels
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5570)
Distance: 2.83
Cal: 314
Avg Hr: 141, 179-81
Fitbit: 50-124 (!)

HGPU 14 (ugh!)

Seated Cable Rows (12:34)
50 lbs x 15
60 x 15
70 x 15

20 Hip Bridges (12:49)
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
10 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose (12:55)
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
    Skip Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 120 sec (1:07-1:08)

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...