Wednesday, July 19, 2023

From Mom Taxi to Personal Assistant

I'm enjoying not getting up at 6 to get my son to the school bus. Instead, I wake up around 7 regardless of how many hours I've slept (I tend to go to bed too late) and get the dogs ready for the park. Then I can get myself ready for the gym afterward and it's surprisingly not too crowded. No throngs of teens draped over the equipment! Maybe they're not awake yet? I got to the gym later than I would've liked today because I had phone calls to make at 9, mostly concerning getting official transcripts sent from the various colleges (that credited my kid's HS college classes) to the university he will be attending next month. 

It's worth a substantial amount of credit that I won't have to pay for again, with 4 schools involved. And each school has their own system of student identification even though they all use the same transcript service, Parchment. I feel like a personal assistant, and I think my son would be lost if I wasn't there to ferret out these old emails from months ago purporting to include instructions and pertinent information regarding classes and grades. And that's only because I recently logged onto my son's email account and found he had over 19k unread emails. OMG! Gen Z does not read email unless absolutely necessary.

It's nearly 11 by the time I got on the elliptical. Today is cooler temp-wise but I still wish the a/c was stronger. I'm a bit surprised by people greeting me. I know them by sight from years ago, when I used to come at a later hour. I guess I'm memorable because there aren't any other small Asian woman at the gym. In fact, there aren't any Asians at all. I see a lot of familiar faces, and some new ones. But very few kids. I'm good with that.

I'm a tad better at pull-ups today, inching my way back! At first, I thought the discomfort under my armpits was from the seams of my shirt chafing my tender skin, but now I think it's soreness of my lats and the back of my triceps. Weird that pull-ups could cause that. My sciatica is receding but not gone. Yet. My appointment with the "back doc" is next week. It'd be funny if by the time I get to my appointment, my pain was all gone. But that's unlikely. 

I did go to the new dentist yesterday, and I was surprised and pleased by his pleasant soft-spoken manner. He reminds me of Mr. Rogers! Old-fashion dentist who does his own cleanings and x-rays. Everyone else I know has techs to do that. He measured the gingival pockets between the gum and teeth, and commented that tartar doesn't stick to ceramic crowns. Also that the cracked ceramic was cosmetic but that the teeth themselves were still fine and the metal caps intact. He ground down the rough edges and said that there wasn't any need to replace the crowns unless I insisted. Whoa! He literally just saved me thousands of dollars! 

There's still a lot of things I need to get done, like finding someone to install the glass replacement panel to the storm door, and getting my car inspected before the month is over. I'm thinking those pesky wheel bearings are going to wait a little longer. They don't make any noise until I reach 40 mph, and then my car sounds like the movie soundtrack to an old film on war planes. It could be worse...

19 July June 2023 10:52 - 12:18
Cooler Later Wednesday w sciatica

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 + 5 (5634)
Distance: 2.85
Cal: 317
Avg Hr: 146, 195 maximum

HGPU 15 easing back in

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60 knees bent
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Hurts Sciatica Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Hurts Sciatica Cat stretch 6
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Hurts Sciatica Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

HGPU 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...