Tuesday, July 25, 2023

A Different Kind of Doc

Took the pups to the park before it was blazing hot out. Then hit the gym for cardio and core. Finally, made it to my doc appointment this afternoon to see a doc new to my GP's practice, an orthopedic surgeon. He certainly has a different approach: first giving me one of his books (for free); then recommending both traditional (let's schedule an MRI, physical therapy [PT] and here's an Rx for Celebrex) and holistic (read my book, you should get my newest book, it has links for meditation). 

I leaf through the book Keys to An Amazing Life: Secrets of the Cervical Spine and admire the illustrations. It's an actual hard cover book with chapters explaining the physiological and emotional aspects of nerve health. Okay, I'll try it although the raised-in-New York part of me is highly skeptical. But it's not going to hurt, so why not? I tell him that since I have an upcoming colonoscopy at the end of the month, I'll wait on the prescription NSAID and he's fine with that.

My sciatica isn't bad today, but it's the reason I don't get more than 5-6 hours of sleep. By 6 AM, my right glute is so sore it wakes me up and there's no position I can take that relieves the discomfort. Walking around offers the best relief. Sweaty cardio on the elliptical feels pretty good too. It's roughly noon and there's not a lot of people exercising. Planks, push-ups and cat/cow are much less painful today. The forearms might be slightly sore. 

I have to skip the gym tomorrow as I'll be waiting for the installer to come replace the glass panel in the storm door with the second replacement panel. At a cost of $97 to install and $136 for the replacement piece, it's still cheaper than ordering a new storm door. But the pups will go to the park first, regardless of the weather. It'll still be cooler early in the morning than later. Temps are forecast to grace 90F and that's just way too hot. For dogs, and people like me.


25 July 2023 11:10 - 12:35
Blazing Tuesday w mild sciatica

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5602)
Distance: 2.84
Cal: 316
Avg Hr: 147, 188-87


20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60 knees bent
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Sciatica Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Just sore Sciatica Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Sciatica Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25 (fatigue)
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...