Thursday, August 27, 2020

Like Your Own Personal Gym Except For...

The Blogger site no longer allows me to add new tags to my posts. I can select from previous tags if I choose, but I hadn't made any tags prior to the pandemic because, well, who knew it was going to last so long. And as we prepare for "back to school," we realize that it's still not close to being over. Are we prepared for the Second Wave yet? It's coming. As soon as schools open we will all hold our collective breaths and see because word from across the country where schools have already reopened (and closed), is not promising. 

Yesterday, the weather was wonderfully cool and dry. Perfect for mowing the lawn and trying to get some yard stuff done. We had to skip the gym because yesterday was also when we were told (with 30 minutes notice) that the 2019-2020 HS yearbooks were finally available. And it was Picture Day. We had made a midday appointment. Kids showed up for their yearbooks, but not photos. A huge empty gym set up with two photographers, colored tape on the floors denoting where to stand, and just one subject: my kid. It felt very safe and just a bit silly.

Today it's hot and humid, with a tornado watch for the area. The last storm that swept through on Tuesday knocked power out for over 12 hours, but at least we still had internet service. The gym is sparsely populated with people on a few treadmills and both Precors in use. I climb stairs for 25 minutes and sporadically look to see who else is present. 

A woman uses the seated tricep machine with her mask pulled down below her nose. That makes me wonder how much a machine's popularity affects the hanging aerosol of breath in each station. The StepMill is popular because it is literally the only one available. Later, the same woman comes by to chat with a big guy on one of the Precors. He's wearing a bandana, as is one other fellow on the treadmill. Those loosely woven cotton cloths only give the illusion of protection. Maybe wet they might keep cattle dust out of your mouth, but unlikely to protect you or people around you from aerosols. It makes me feel less safe today. 

I don't see Little R. Maybe he came earlier in the day? There are two senior guys, one of whom is following Gym Owner around the equipment. I'm still sweating quite heavily when I step into the aerobics room. I'm happy that absolutely no one else is in there. There's no one on the Smith, and by the time I reach the DB area, the two obese dudes (who might be brothers) have moved on to the Breaker benches. 

I'm unsure as to how much weight I can actually push/pull these days, so I start slow. It's a good start, especially since my glutes and hammies are still sore from Tuesday, and I don't even think I worked them that hard! 

Self-cleaning stickers!

27Aug2020
Day 3

Matrix Step
Speed 4
Min 25
HR 127
Cal 155
Steps 1004
Floors 62

Crunches x 2 x 60
50 scissors
50 Bicycles
Plank 60s
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Pushups 25
Quick stretch

Smith inclined bench
Sticky Bar (30) x 15
+20 x 15
+30 x 15
+40 x 15 x 3

15 lbs DB raises supersets x 3
x 15 lateral
x 15 bent over

Rip Skulls
25 x 13
30 x 12, 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...