Wednesday, August 12, 2020

New Procedures for Old Routines

New York State has not indicated when gyms, movie theaters, and bowling alleys may reopen, even though Connecticut next door has been open for months without serious spikes in new infections. Over 1,500 gym and fitness centers, including dojos and martial arts centers in NYS have filed a lawsuit to force the state to establish guidelines to allow them to reopen. After all, just six miles away, gyms are open. Gyms in NJ are in a holding pattern, only allowing outdoor activities. I don't think I could abide by that. 

The heat and humidity make exercising in my garage more than unpleasant. I'm not going to risk heat sickness for fitness. So it is welcome news when a friend invites me to sample a workout at her new gym home in CT. It's a bit of a drive down the Interstate, but there is ample parking and the facility itself is spacious and airy. There are a lot of younger people and an elderly couple. In fact, the man is the only person not properly wearing his mask as it covers his mouth but not his nose. Figures. 

Every other machine is taped off. Signs are posted showing the correct and many incorrect ways of wearing a mask. Masks are required everywhere for everyone. There are ample cleaning stations situated throughout the gym stocked with disinfectant wipes dispensers, sprays, and paper towels. Cleaning crews continuously wipe down high-frequency areas. Every two lockers are closed to provide adequate social distancing during busy times. There's even a special wing with a key card entry only for women who don't want to work out in a mixed environment. I have no use for that, but the locker room is really nice. It's too bad I can't shower because after a few hours, I can actually smell the clothes I'm wearing. Not a good thing. 

I do three different cardio exercises for a few minutes. Actually, I didn't realize that there were two different versions of the Matrix StepMill, one old and resembling one at my Gold's gym, and one much newer. Because these machines have plate windows behind them, the glare of the afternoon sun makes reading the older console difficult. I also pedal on a Matrix bike for a few minutes. Otherwise, I have a choice of treadmills and other ellipticals. My knees and ankles are not eager to wrestle with the LifeFitness cross-trainers. 

Wearing a disposable mask isn't ideal when working out, especially during cardio when it is needed most, breathing deeply and rapidly. While I hadn't been bothered by the smell of my own breath, the hot humid air inside my mask made me sweatier. I perspire a lot when I exercise and wearing a mask prevents any cooling evaporation from occurring. My nose gets drippy. The only times I get to slide the mask down is when blowing my nose, or sipping from my water bottle. Although the fountains have been taped off, there is a bottle filling station which is something I'd not seen before. I wish my gym had that but it's doubtful the owner will install something so high-tech and expensive.  

10 lbs too much
Because it's been such a long time, I ease into a workout with a mat stretch and some core exercises. I warm up my shoulders with 10 lb dumbbells. There are weighted bars, assorted DBs, and kettlebells alongside the spacious stretch area which is carpeted in artificial grass (we bring our own yoga mats to use). Then I venture into the actual free weight area which has at least two Smith machines, several squat racks, a half dozen single flat benches, and several benches with barbell stays. There are two separate barbell racks with solid straight bars and EZ bars. I grab a 30 lb EZ bar to use for Rip Skulls. Even though the area is busy with men and women, turnover is quick. No one lingers. No one wastes time or hogs equipment. It's nice not to suffer the cliques glomming equipment. 

There is club music blaring over the speakers, but not so loud that my earbuds can't block it out. It's been a long time since I listened to my own workout mix. I can see why my friend really enjoys this place. She's been a member for over a year and is definitely reaping the benefits of a regular fitness routine. It's not the closest open gym -- I think there's a Planet Fitness in Danbury -- but this place definitely has a lot of things going for it. 

ps. I really hate how Blogger has "updated" their software with fewer controllable items.

12Aug2020
Edge Fitness Danbury CT

Matrix Step
Min 12:01
HR 144-138
Step 541

Mat Stretch
Crunches x 2 x 50
50 scissors
Plank 60s
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Pushups 25

10 lbs DB raises
x 12, 15 front x 2
x 15 lateral x 3
x 15 bent over x 3
One-Arm Tricep behind head 20

Edge Smith inclined bench
Bar x 25
+20 x 15
+30 x 15 x 3

Smith RG Bent Over Rows
Bar x 25
+20 x 25
+30 x 25
+40 x 25

Rip Skull EZ bar
30 lbs x 12, 12, 11

Matrix Step
Minutes 10
Cal 59
Steps 382

Matrix Bike
5 min
HR 126
Distance 0.80

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...