Friday, August 28, 2020

Finally Friday but...

My son had a case of cabin-fever and asked to visit the new "odds 'n ends store," i.e., the Ocean State Job Lot. Even though I had just been there the day before, my son wanted to see for himself all the various items for sale. He was ecstatic to find Cow Tales, a confection only previously available at Scout Camp. 

I was going to buy a $5 set of tube watercolor paints since it's something I've always wanted to try. I have a lot of watercolor paper and a few brushes at home, plus myriad how-to books, but no actual paints. My son stopped me and told me that the wooden art case he's had since grade school (a gift from my husband) contains several dozen watercolor pans that he's never used. He's more of a pencil and colored marker kid.

Back to the house where the husband is on a business call. He still wants to come to the gym with me, and then later, we'll have to retrieve his car from the repair shop. Again, the gym is open with just a dozen members scattered throughout the facility. I get on the Precor and finally select Fitness Program 1. It's been five months since I did this and I'm sure my cardio response will be abysmal. Wearing a disposable mask doesn't help, especially as I'm panting and the mask fabric gets sucked into my mouth each time I inhale. Yuck. 

The one person not wearing his mask correctly, because there's always at least one in every situation whether it's the grocery or the gym, is a middle-aged guy with the mask over his mouth and not his nose. Bandana Guy shows up later to huff on the elliptical. At least bandanas are washable even if they're not doing anything to protect everyone from his germs. Not sure if they actually protect the wearer since studies omit that info except when advising against wearing respirator masks with one-way air valves. Those protect the wearer but not people in your "corona zone."

The gym is crowded enough that there are at least two other people in the aerobic room when I get there to do abs and other floor movements. We are spaced far apart so it's not an issue. I'm not sure what's in the sanitizing spray each person is told to carry and use, but I spritz the mat with it before and after I drop my hoodie on it before I lay down. 

I do the bare minimum for Smith Deadlifts and Seated Cable Rows. I haven't done rows in months and the measly 70 lb selection feels a tad heavy. My biceps might actually be sore tomorrow from this! Walking Lunges finishes me off. The Seated Leg Curl machine has been taped off and is unusable, and I'm not comfortable with the Prone Leg Curl because of my glaucoma. The Stretch Cage is also off-limits so I can't even try pull-ups. 

However, as we're checking out, I ask Gym Owner about the showers. They haven't been taped off like they are at Edge Fitness in Connecticut. He says they are usable as long as you wipe them down afterward. Sold! I didn't bring my shower stuff (soap, towels, etc.) but will the next time I come, which might be as soon as tomorrow. Gold's Gym stopped charging the monthly fee in April, but I know they are resuming as people return to the facility. For $20 monthly, I want to be able to shower as well. 

We might go to the gym on Saturday and Sunday. The husband has dropped 7 lbs and doesn't want to lose momentum between his new meal plan and the exercise regime. He has a friend/coworker who has invested in a very specific weight loss plan and the friend is happy to advise my hubby as to what he can and cannot eat. It sounds a lot like a bodybuilder's cutting diet, which is mostly protein and a lot of veggies. It restricts fats and carbohydrates. The problem with a lot of current "keto" diets is that they allow too much fat and protein, and the body sees this excess as energy to be stored... as body fat. 

The new diet, according to my husband, forces the body to actually use the stored fat. Well, that makes sense. I'm not worried about this new eating plan because it forces him to eat a lot more veggies, and he has to cut out all pork products as well as deli meats. No cheese either. No peanuts but a few almonds are okay. I'd like to lose weight too but not nearly as much... I wonder how long this is going to take me. At least my big toe looks almost normal now. Almost. It's only been 9 months! 

28 Aug 2029
Day 4

Precor elliptical
Program 1
HR low 85 high 188 av 154
Min 35
Cal 316
Distance 2.84

Crunches x 2 x 50
50 scissors
50 Bicycles
Plank 60s
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Pushups 25
Quick stretch

Smith Deadlifts
Bar (30) x 15
+50 x 12 reps x 3 sets

Seated Cable Rows
70 x 12, 12, 12

Walking Lunges
30 x 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...