Friday, December 28, 2018

Ending the Week Well

Still not making it to the gym as early as I'd like, but at least I'm making it there. The rain got steadily worse as I drove until it was torrential. Flood watch warnings in effect. Temps rising from the mid 30s to the 50s, totally unseasonably warm for December in New York. I've decided to make today a Cardio Day, but I still want to do the Norwegian 4 x 4 routine. Well, that'll be different. I figure I'll compensate by making the other two cardio events just 15 minutes in duration. But I still have hammer grip pull ups and core, as well as ending with Walking Lunges and 2:1 Lying Leg Curls.

There's a lot less people at the gym today. I see the Gym Rat couple: they've been here all week, regular as clockwork. They look to be both in their late 30s: he's swarthy and well-built, bald with glasses; she's almost as tall as he is, also bespectacled, but pale with a blonde ponytail. He's obviously training her and in the months that I've seen them, I see her making noticeable progress. She's gotten trimmer, and stronger, flat benching with a pair of 45s on an Oly bar. They keep to themselves but don't seem amorous. Just as it should be in a public space like the gym.

It doesn't occur to me until I'm struggling to pedal on the Expresso Bike that the HIIT cardio has taken a toll on my system, at least momentarily. Obviously, my score isn't as good as last week's. However, I still enjoyed it and 15 minutes goes by in a flash. The Step Mills are both occupied so after another set of pull ups, I look around and decide that 15 minutes of Octane is good. I did it yesterday as well, but I'm just not in the mood for the cross-trainer, which is kind of crowded anyway. The Octane leaves my toes numb. Ugh. I still have one more set of pull ups to do as well, but I'll wait until after the Lying Leg Curls. Starting at a slightly higher weight seems appropriate. I can't maintain it though and drop back down to 20 lbs for the last set. Doing Walking Lunges immediately after is a bit challenging though. At least I don't fall on my face.

Not sure if I'll make it to the gym on New Year's Eve. I'd like to. Working out is so peaceful. I've said it before: I can do this for hours. There's nothing more zen than the gym, with the right playlist of course.
mirrors are deceiving 


Friday Is Cardio

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 271
Miles 2.55
HR 133-173 (105-110)

HGPU 20
Push Ups 50
Crunches 30 x 2
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x60s

15 min Expresso Bike
Dragons Island 4ever to load!
same room different mirror

Calories 51
Miles 2.57
Points 132,790

HGPU 20

15 min Octane
Default setting
Calories 105
Miles 1.39
Steps 1950
Floors 33
HR 130-207

2:1 Lying Leg Curls (toes numb)
20lbs x 12
25 x 12
20 x 12

Walking Lunges
27 + 28 = 27 each leg

HGPU 22

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...