Thursday, December 27, 2018

Rushing Pull Day

Like most folks, I look at my phone a lot
I can't seem to get out of the house earlier than 10 am, mostly because there's so much to do before I leave. I'd like a cup of coffee so there's making coffee, and refilling the bird feeder, putting away dishes in the rack so I can clear the sink and stove from last night's dishes and pots, retrieving the newspaper and putting out the trash, setting up the laundry. Okay, now I'm ready to warm up the car. My hubs stumbles out of bed just as I'm packing up my gym bag. I ask him if he wants to come, but he'd need to put his contact lenses in and that's always unpredictable as to how long it will take him. (I often find contact lenses all over the bathroom, wedged behind the baseboard, under the sink, stuck to the wall.) I actually don't know how people work out with glasses on since I always fog up my sunglasses and reading glasses with the slightest of exertions. 

There's a solid wall of folks on the treadmill, but the Octane is free so I hop on that for 20 minutes. My pulse rate is more erratic than usual, but that might be the machine itself. Of course, a reading of 57 that suddenly jumps to 187 is kind of crazy. My kind of erratic crazy, like my blood pressure and my IOPs. 

I'm pressed for time since we've agreed to a 2 pm "play date" for my son and a friend he hasn't seen since this summer. No pull ups today since I did a set yesterday. No time for push ups or core either if I want to grab my chance at the Smith. I wish RDLs got easier but it doesn't feel that way, although I am able to knock out 3 sets of 12 reps at 120 lbs. Briefly, I ponder 5 x 5s and realize that that's 25 reps, but 3 x 12 is 36 reps, and heavy reps equals strength.

I only have time for two more exercises so I choose Lat Pull Downs and Reverse Grip BB Curls. To grab the handles to the Lat Pull Downs, I have to stand atop the seat and reach up. I have a good view of the free weight area. The only folks who come to the gym on successive days are gym rats. Most of the regulars from yesterday are not here today, except for Ballet. Today he's wearing capris pants that zips up past the knee, exposing the tattoo on his calf. Through my earbuds, I can hear him squeaking a grunt for each rep doing single arm cable curls. The Mayor has his blonde skinny teenage son in tow. Together they alternate taking turns benching. At least he's quieter these days. 

The weather is suppose to be awful starting late tonight into tomorrow afternoon. I still plan to either have a cardio day or whack the machine. I haven't decided. What I have decided is to cancel dinner plans with another family because what started out as a 4 pm early dinner morphed into "Can you come for lunch instead?" We had trouble making a 2 pm today, so I tell her that late lunch might be okay, say about 2 ish. She wants to know if we can do noon. Ugh. Nope. Not rushing through another workout again. I cancel and tell her we'll reschedule. My boys would rather stay home on a dreary rainy day anyhow. Am I a gym rat or what?

Rushed Thursday

20 min Octane
Default setting
Calories 126
Miles 1.71
Steps 2372
Floors 39
HR max 203 (57-188)

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
120 x 12 x 3

Lat Pull Downs
85 lbs x 12
100 x 12
115 x 8 x 3

RG BB Curls
30 lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

Quick Stretch




No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...