Thursday, September 27, 2018

Procrastination is My Middle Name

Last night, while I was working on my assignment, I found out that it's due tomorrow morning at 10. Which means I'm not going to the gym tomorrow, unless I have time after I upload it. Which is possible. I prefer to get my "gym time" out of the way, especially during the non-peak time between the morning folks and the late morning people. That's the time when the treadmills are busy but all the recumbent bikes are vacant, and the locker room is mostly vacant.

Exercise, no matter how maddeningly mundane and seemingly non-productive, is another way I seem to procrastinate. Admittedly, I feel better and think better after I get the blood flowing, so perhaps I shouldn't be too upset that I put the gym before sitting down in front of my laptop these days. The laptop itself is a bit of a learning curve since I've spent the past 30 years on a Mac (yes, since the mid 80s when that cute little droid thing sat atop our desks). Mine had a turbo booster and a Radius rocket processor, and cool software like Hyper Cards. This is the first PC I've ever owned, and yes, I bought it "refurbished" since it was cheaper, but advertised as an excellent gaming machine. Cool. Processing power is always good.

I love Macs, and so does the advertising industry. But my current Mac is over 6 years old, which means I can't update the operating system because of actual physical and technical limitations. If I buy a new Mac with the new operating system, none of my old software will work on it. The latest versions of all my useful programs are all Cloud-based now, which means renting access to them, whether I use them or not that month. And, Mac software is notoriously Not Backward Compatible. So I lose access to all my old files. My old Mac works okay, but since I can't update the OS, I can't update the browsers either. Some versions are now unsupported and can't really access websites properly, or safely. Ugh. Hence, a newish PC with access to Google Chrome and Google Docs, because that's what's called for by the writing BootCamp. It's also what my son uses at school so I find myself asking him about which key commands do what...  Well, I haven't asked him to program the VCR. Kidding! We don't have a VCR!

At least I'm learning new stuff these days, right? It's a bit unnerving to read the local papers and see how many 60 year olds have died from chronic illnesses. I'll be 60 sooner than I'd like, and it scares the bejeezus out of me. I'm watching the dog decline. Last night he had a lot of trouble getting his back legs under him to stand up. He whined but didn't really want my help. He did develop a crazy appetite late in the day, though so that was heartening. This morning he's walking with back legs alternately dragging so he lists like a drunken sailor. Not hungry either... Today I'm cooking gizzards, ground turkey with rice in beef broth. I'm having to think up new ways to change the taste and smell of foods he can actually eat without making him more ill. I also bought different bread to toast, and another box of saltine crackers.

I'm thinking about all my childhood crushes and wondering, are they really all dead? I am enjoying watching Buffy The Vampire Slayer on Hulu because I never viewed it when it first aired. When I'm at the gym doing my routine, I put everything out of my mind. All I think about is doing the next set or next movement. It's almost meditative. And I can't wait until I can do an actual Gym Rat workout again. For my health, and mental sanity.

Bored & Tired Thursday
30 minutes recumbent bike
Calories 112
Miles 1.70
HR 105

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...