Monday, September 17, 2018

Hell is Other People

This is probably my last HIIT cardio workout for a few months. I'd hoped to get at least one more in tomorrow but it's not looking promising. Actually, I'd hoped to have a full Cardio Day tomorrow, but then I went to the glaucoma doc today to drop off the money for all the things my health insurance doesn't cover, like the FEMTO laser (even though the laser makes cataract surgery quicker with less complications than lens removal by hand). The competent gal in the office scans my eye for the correct lens size, something the ditz forgot. I mention the flashes of light in the peripheral vision of my left eye, and she schedules an appointment for tomorrow to check it out. Ugh. It's at 9:45 because I have an online class I need to be present for at 1 pm. I don't think there's enough time between dropping my son off at school at 7:44, getting to the gym by 8:20 and heading towards the doc at 9:15, to actually get a workout in, AND shower and change. Well, maybe... if it's just 20 minutes of cardio and nothing more. Is that even worth it?!

On the way home, I stop by Walmart to see if they have sticky paper to make labels for the Boy Scout Merit Badges. Last time, I hand-wrote all the names on the cards and the boy presenting the awards couldn't read them. Better to print them out... While I'm there, I see more of those stainless steel, double-walled tumblers that my husband and I are fond of. They're in the camping section. I grab a few of those and get in line. The cashier rings up all my items, including an index card holder (my son's German teacher said to buy 600 index cards to make flash cards) and a plastic Halloween candy bowl, and tells me two bags. I grab two bags.

I don't bother to rifle through the bags because I'm trying to get away from the enormously creepy dude right behind me who's in line to buy menthols. I should've checked my bag because once I got home, and it's a long drive through a lot of inane traffic, I find that the tumblers are missing. Ugh! I call the store. Yes, they have them waiting for me at Customer Support. Which means I have to go back. So, on my way home from the doc tomorrow I'll have to detour through Walmart once again. Ugh. Hopefully I won't miss my web call. Maybe I'll just skip the gym and drive to Walmart before the doctor's appointment... since they open at 7 am anyway!

Today, I do the Norwegian HIIT cardio, a lone set of pull ups, a basic Push Day workout, and finish with some core. There's a yoga class in session so I'm on a couple of squishy black mats where the big blue gymnastic ones used to be. I miss those mats! I see a lot of regulars. A friend tells me she hasn't seen me all summer and I explain that's because my son slept in so we got to the gym much later in the day. I'm glad that's done, although I do miss his company.

The dog seems to be having a lot of trouble with the back right leg lately. I have some old gabapentin from when he first ruptured his CCLs a few years ago, but I know he won't let me give him pills. I buy a small bag of Pill Pockets, and one made by MilkBone, just in case he doesn't like the first one. The vet has assured me that these should be safe for a dog with pancreatitis (since peanut butter and cheese are no longer tolerable). The dog has been looking rough in the evenings, as if his pain meds (Metacam) aren't lasting long enough. The gabapentin makes him a little loopy, but I'm hoping he'll feel better. I worry something neurological is happening as well...

The pills are too big for a single pill pocket (apparently they come in different sizes!) so I use two and squish them together. The dog seems to like the taste and doesn't actually chew through and spit out the pill — something he's done with bread rolled around the pills. What the dog really needs is a bath, but I'm worried about bringing him to the groomers, and after my surgery, I won't be allowed to pick up anything like a 60 lb dog for a few weeks. (He's not jumping in and out of the car with those busted CCLs!) Ugh. My son is big enough to do this, but somehow, I know I'm stronger. I guess that'll have to wait too.

Push and HIIT Monday Workout (Pre-Surgery)

4 x 4 Norwegian:
5 min warmup
4 min 85-95% HR (143-159)
3 min rest
4 sets (minute marker 5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33)
Miles 2.67
Calories 291
AHR 140/183

HGPU (full) 16

Smith Inclined Press
Bar x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
90 x 12
60 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20lbs x 12/15 reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
35lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

Crunches 30/20
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...