Thursday, April 12, 2018

Whacky Thursday

After checking myself in my phone this morning, I make it to the gym wearing splotchy leggings and a stringy gray tank. Normally these leggings are a bit loose in the waist, but I'm bigger now, so they stay up just fine. I'm not terribly happy about my "new" weight which hovers at 112 lbs. I have to really focus to drop down to 108. My regular clothes would fit so much better if I did. But I haven't come to terms with giving up avocados yet. Because avocados are fattening. And since my hubs is doing no/low carb, we always have avocados in the house.

It's late morning so the early crowd has already left. I get to warm up on the elliptical in peace. My right ear canal feels tender, and I realize that I have to change that ear pad yet again to something even smaller. Or, I can give up and replace that one with the memory foam pad... I can hear lots of ambient vocal squawking. Ugh. It's The Mayor. He and Little R are apparently taking turns on the Inclined Bench doing DB something or others. I haven't seen Little R in weeks, but I did notice his shiny silver Subaru WRX in the parking lot today. (It's the only Subie that still has a hood scoop.) I used to want one of those. Before I learned how unreliable and trouble-prone they are. (I also used to want a big red pickup with a cap, to live on a farm and have a houseful of kids. But that was when I was 10.)

There's no one at the Nexersys machines. There never is, which is kind of a bummer. But since the company doesn't seem able to support their own equipment (parts are difficult to come by), perhaps it's a blessing that these machines aren't being abused by the masses. I wrap up my hands and tap in 7 rounds Beginner, Follow Me and Sparring. The Power Dig sensor is still wonky so I don't waste my energy trying to score on that pad. Some of the other sensors don't always register either. And I blank the machine half a dozen times. But I keep punching and jabbing anyway. I had the wire to my earbuds down on my neck but after the wire caught on my skin for the 3rd time, I draped it over my clipped-up hair. I worry about accidentally damaging the wire with my hair clip, but it's far worse to have your ear bud pull out because the wire got stuck to your sweaty neck. Ugh.

The machine goes a little crazy during rounds 2 and 3 of the Intermediate set. Those are all Follow Me rounds. My knuckles get a little sore. My shoulders and back are already a bit sore. From yesterday. Or sleeping. I start to lose steam during round 5. Ugh. I'm disappointed. Not only did I have breakfast, I actually upped my protein intake. Because after coffee and Greek yogurt (22 gms protein) with a splash of maple syrup, I was suddenly hungry while loading the car with my gym gear. I wound up drinking a Fairlife strawberry shake (15 gms protein). Okay, so maybe it's not being bigger that bothers me. It's not being leaner...

I'm happy with my kickboxing rounds. And before I leave the gym, I make sure to squeeze out my pull ups. I get to 26, and even though I know I can do a few more, maybe two or three, I just stop. Because I'm tired, hungry and just don't feel like it. Ugh. What the hell is wrong with me?! 

I have a few errands to do today, including stopping at the local pet food store to check out low-fat canned dog foods for sufferers of pancreatitis. They stock Weruva. It's a bit pricey between $3.29 and $3.69 for a 14 oz can. And a 60 lb dog would eat more than one a day. I'll still cook ground turkey and rice/oatmeal for the pup, but now I'll supplement it with organ meats like chicken hearts, and cottage cheese. The pup loves scrambled eggs, but there may be too much fat in egg yolks for him to handle safely. Sigh.

Online, I can buy Hill's Science Diet low-fat 13 oz cans, or Weruva 14 oz cans. Weruva has less fat and more protein (1.4%, 10% respectively). At the back of my dog cupboard, I dig up a few old cans of Hill's i/d. Yes, they're expired, but what does that really mean? I open a can and it seems fine. The dog eats it and suffers no ill reaction. I'm not ready to totally ditch the bag of Iams Senior dog kibble either. It might have too much fat for the pup to eat solo, but a little mixed into his rice doesn't seem to hurt him. Low-fat dry dog food is astronomically expensive at over $80 for under 30 lbs. There are countless blog sites discussing canine pancreatitis. One site advises against feeding the dog starches such as rice or potatoes, but paragraphs later, says mashed spuds are okay. Another site suggests that the optimal food should be half protein and half easily-digestible starches, like rice and/or potatoes. Pumpkin appears to be an ingredient in a few low-fat dog foods. One website warns against foods that contain too much sugar because that will stress the pancreas, and nixes the idea of using pumpkins, peas, carrots and sweet potatoes. Well, it's not like I'm going to put sugar in his kibble. Ugh.

The wart on the dog's back, although not any bigger, does ooze from time to time. It looks like blood. The vet gave me a small plastic container of antiseptic, antibiotic wipes for it. The dog doesn't react as if it's painful. I brush him and wipe him down with waterless spray dog cleaner so he's less stinky.  Yeah, getting old sucks, but this dog still has a pretty good life...

Nexersys Thursday

10 elliptical
Calories 95
Miles 0.84

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys
7r Beginner 4FM 3Sp
7r Intermediate

HGPU 26


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...