Thursday, December 24, 2015

Why I'll Never Be a Personal Trainer

I've often toyed with the idea of making money from something that I spend a lot of time doing and researching. I'm constantly reading and viewing articles on nutrition, health, fitness, exercise and assorted related issues. I've been on the verge of subscribing to fitness certification programs, but when I think harder about what this entails, it's not the work and studying that deters me. It's people. I'm not a "people person" by nature, and every cheerful, smiley conversation I have with a stranger is something that I've had to practice internally. It's a role to be donned like a costume, to be removed and stored for safe-keeping when not necessary. I can't imagine doing this every day. I can't imagine having to be doormat nice, smiling and nodding to ill-informed and rude people.

Maybe I am getting old, but I was brought up with a certain sense of decorum. In a public space, you do not put your feet where people sit. You do not drape your sweaty body across the entire bench in a locker room while plugged into your phone. It's an act when I use a soft quiet voice to be overly polite with a smile. And when I'm tired and rushed, I'm not in the mood to put on the act. I get out of the shower and a HS girl is draped over the bench in front of my locker. I give her a few moments while I put a bit of cream on my face. When I'm aware of someone near me, I automatically clear space for them. Because that's the polite thing to do. She lays there. I tell her to move. None of this "Excuse me, can you please scoot over a bit?" because, honestly, she should know better.

She starts yelling about how rude I'm being to her. And I yell right back. She resorts to stating that I'm old so I shouldn't be so rude. I tell her, that's right I'm old, and she should know better. Her sarcasm does nothing but make me want to spank her. She tells me I'm twice her age, and I think to myself, Well, that makes me about 12 since she's acting like a 6 yr old. In truth, I'm probably more than 3x her age. She drapes herself over the next bench while a meek middle-aged woman is retrieving her clothes from another locker. The girl makes a big show of moving, but the woman says, "Oh no, you're fine." But I know the girl wouldn't've moved if it weren't for this row we're having. The girl yells about being tired after working out and all I can think is, "Well, you're really out of shape". But I don't resort to that. When more women come in, the girl leaves the locker room, yelling the entire time.

I'm tired of this schizophrenic society that says woman should be meek and smiley, but HS brats are okay to perpetuate bad behavior. I'm pretty sure this is the girl who sat down on the bench this summer, said "Oh, I got my period!" and got up, leaving blood all over the bench, which she didn't acknowledge nor wipe down. Gross. These people grow up driving in through the exits because the entrance is too far away, leave gum on the side of the ellipticals because it's too inconvenient to toss it in the trash, think they're too cute to be wrong about anything. Ugh. I hate being at the gym when school is on break, when there are high-schoolers in the locker room. The only solution is to get here earlier. If I had to deal with them on a daily basis, I'm sure bodily harm would be inflicted.

But I did have a kick-ass workout even if it was abbreviated. My son is off from school and my hubs thinks he'll be home tonight for a late supper. It's Christmas Eve. The gym is really warm and humid and I wonder if they ever got the new A/C installed. 65F for December in NY is ridiculous, but will be remedied by early next week when temps drop low enough to precipitate snow and ice. I do my 10 min warm up, then whack the Nexersys, decreasing the rounds as I progress in difficulty. I'm trying to ignore the phantom bleeps that flash but aren't actual strikes. They seem to be residual targets, like echos from a Sweep or Kick. It's probably a loose sensor in the bottom half of the machine because Jabs, Cross, Hooks and Elbows don't have this effect. Still, it's a great workout. My lungs are burning and I'm panting by the end of the session, just like true HIIT cardio: three minute rounds with 1 minute rest in between.

I won't be going to the gym until some time next week so Merry Christmas. And although it's unlikely that I'll skip the gym until 2016, Happy New Year (just in case)!

Warm Up
Calorie :   95 CAL
Distance: 0.84 mile
Duration : 00:10:00

Lap/Rep :  12 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:48:00

Photos posted for actual stats:


5r Beginner


4r Intermediate


3r Advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...