Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Happy Winter Solstice

Today, December 22nd, is the official start of the Winter Season in the Northeast. It doesn't feel like winter in New York though, as temps are expected to climb to the mid 70s by Christmas Day. Heck, I wonder what it's going to be like in Florida! Of course, all this warm weather brings precipitation in the form of fog and rain. It's still dreary outside, and a bit chilly, but I'm thankful it's not snowing. I'm certain that fate awaits us after the New Year.

Meanwhile, I get to the gym, get my 10 min warm up done and wrap my hands to whack the machine. I'm pissed off because my brother has sent several nasty emails demanding to know where my gifts for his kids are. His kids are in college, and have, for the past several years, received Chinese "red envelopes" with cash. It's all they want. I mailed them out yesterday with the Holiday Card I got printed at the CVS. I spent hours on Sunday finding appropriate photos, editing and merging them to make a humorous card, then uploaded the file to CVS to print on photo paper, and provide envelopes. This whole process takes a while. True, my brother sent my son both birthday and Christmas gifts before we left for Florida, but that was his prerogative.

True, I didn't tell my brother we were going to Florida, but in truth, I don't tell him much of anything. He's too wildly emotionally unstable and verbally abusive to maintain close ties with. My sister has stopped speaking with him completely even though her daughter and his daughter had been close. My brother conveniently claims not to remember why she's mad at him. But by the time my workout is over, I'm feeling much better. My sister-in-law emails an apology, explaining that my brother is in a bad mood because it's our father's death anniversary. I thought that was tomorrow, actually, and while I do miss my dad, it's not ruining my day. My sister misses my mom more than my dad. I miss my dad more than my mom, but actually, most of my fondest childhood memories are not of my parents, but of my grandmother. Then again, I was her favorite grandchild. We all have different relationships and attachments to our family members that others just can't understand or relate to.

Back to kickboxing the machine. There is only one round that leaves me so breathless that I'm still panting as the next round starts, and that is round 4 at the Intermediate Level. I'm still working hard at the Advance Level... some combinations continue to flummox me. But I'm sweaty happy when I'm done. After unwrapping my hands, I do 15 minutes on the Step Mill. The gym is warm and humid (because who runs A/C in December?) so the doors are open, and I actually don't put my hoodie back on. Then a quick stretch. The gym scale reads 107.6 lbs. I'm good with that. I seem to weigh less on days where I eat Greek-style yogurt and maple syrup for breakfast. I'm not sure why.

I'm having trouble remembering to take the generic Claritin® (loratadine) antihistamine. It's only when I start to scratch my neck or forearms that I remember I'm suppose to take it 2X a day even though the dosing says once daily. It's making me tired in the morning, like I haven't had enough sleep. The app Sleep Cycle says my sleep was a tiny bit better than the night before. Sure doesn't feel like it. My neck and forearms are still red, rough and itchy. I hope I'm not developing something nasty like psoriasis, an autoimmune disorder which my dad had, and my sis has in a lesser fashion. I read an article linking bodily inflammation with not only chronic ailments like heart disease and diabetes, but also, now (drum roll please), depression. The cure? Stress-relief, omega-3s, and exercise. Of course...

Tuesday Workout

Warm Up
Calorie :   98 CAL
Distance: 0.86 mile
Duration : 00:10:00

Lap/Rep :  15 Lap/Rep
Duration : 01:00:00
Calorie :   118 CAL
Lap/Rep :  50 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:15:00

Photos posted for actual stats:

5 rounds Beginner

5 rounds Intermediate



5 rounds Advance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...