Friday, September 6, 2013

Succumbing to Need

Because I had one of those back-to-back errand routes planned for the post-gym agenda, I felt very sure that doing a double cardio session would do me good, lift my spirits and ironically, give me the energy I needed. And because I hadn't done any double sessions all week, I decided that doing Intervals would be the best and most grueling programs. I started with Interval 7, only adjusting the resistance down from 6 to 5 and peddled furiously, not really feeling warm and sweaty until 20 minutes had passed. My sore glutes loosened up and only the occasional ping in my right knee caused me any concern.

I managed to do as well as yesterday which encouraged me to punch in Interval 8 for the second round of cardio. It's a lot harder. Again, I only adjust the resistance down from 6 to 5 because I'd like my knees to work for the rest of the day. During the last 5 minutes, a song comes on that gives me a boost and as I sing aloud silently (well, you know what I mean), I rev my speed up from 200 to 245 SPMs. I'm impressed that I can do that after almost an hour of cardio! It's nice to finish strong.

I don't look around much because I know that I've just burned up 70 minutes of cardio and stretching will eat up another 15. I'm not sure how long 6 rounds on the Nexersys will take but I'm not giving that up. What I give up is doing abs and side kicks at the Cage Stretch. Well, I'm wearing those day-glo shorts anyway... I see R in my peripheral vision as I proceed with a fast Mat Stretch. I haven't spoken to him in a few weeks, but I don't have the time or the inclination today. Besides, every time I do speak at length with him, I have weird disturbing dreams.

Afterwards, I drop my hoodie into my locker, and tape my right hand before donning those godawful bubblegum pink gloves. I like smacking the Nexersys, making the red pads wobble with the impact from my punches and kicks. I do well at the Follow Me Avatar program until round 3 when R walks past me into the Cage Stretch area to use the cable machine there. Accuracy plummets. He probably doesn't know that I know he's there. It doesn't matter. I don't think I can focus any harder. Luckily I do better at Sparring although my "power" seems a tad off. Which is weird considering how many times (at least 6-8) the buzzer goes off, telling me that I'm punching too hard.

Friday Workout
35 min Interval 7 = 4.59 miles + 35 min Interval 8 = 4.65  Grand Total = 9.24 miles Wahoooo!
Cage Stretch with body weight heel dips and calf raises
Mat Stretch with 10 Dive Bomber Push Ups and 5 gliding back and forth, keeping hips low; split, etc
Nexersys: 3 rounds Follow Me Avatar (power is better than last week)
3 rounds Sparring Avatar (number of punches and kicks are good but power seems a bit off)
I've attached photos of the screens:

The gym scale reads 110. Well, okay. I feel really good today even though my right knuckle is a tad pink. I need to do a better job wrapping my hand but I've run out of tape. Not sure if the new stuff I have in my gym bag will work until next week. At least I should have lifting straps by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...