Friday, September 20, 2013

Figuring Out the Nexersys with Some Help

Last night, I started to feel that burning hollow feeling in my lower eyelids that always signifies to me that I'm getting worn out and due for a cold. So I popped another zinc tablet and doubled up on the fish oil. This morning I still felt a bit tired but I'm not even sore from all those benching reps yesterday. Which is good, I guess. True, my glutes are always vaguely sore but I'm accustomed to that now. Today is another Double Cardio day, and my chance to see if I've actually learned anything from scouring the internet in search of youtube guidance.

Most of the videos available are glorified glossy informercials for Nexersys. I wanted someone to actually explain the jab-cross maneuver as it pertains to this system and I found it at www.ideafit.com with a trainer who explains very simply what the moves are and the reason why. Although I'm not horribly excited at the thought of doing cardio and more cardio, I hop on the Precor, turn the volume waaaay up on my iPod and punch in Interval 7. It takes me 17 minutes before I realize that sweat is beading up on my face. When it's over, I'm still feeling tired, but now I'm warm and sweaty.

I take 2 big gulps of water, blow my nose and punch in Interval 8. It's harder than 7 and 5 minutes into it, I wonder if I'll be able to finish it. Which is just silly, because I've never walked away from an elliptical program. My right kneecap aches slightly. I need to adjust my footing because just the slightest angle change can have a big impact. Because this is the 2nd session, I don't feel compelled to keep my speed up at 200 Strides Per Minute. But again, during the last few minutes, I'm compelled to be reckless and just go for it, pushing myself to hit 250 SPMs for at least a few seconds. Seconds seem to last a lot longer doing this than at any other time. I've gone as fast as 300 but not today.

I'm wearing my loose, baggy Danksin bermudas so I can do a full Cage Stretch without giving the seniors heart failure. I'm still wearing my hoodie because I don't like cooling off too fast, plus it keeps my sweat mostly to myself. But I can't wear my hoodie for the Mat Stretch because there's no way to keep everything in place when I bend down and touch my elbows to the ground between my legs. So I peel it off and realize that my hair is so wet I look like I've just climbed out of the pool, and the parts that aren't plastered to my head, are sticking up like Alfalfa from Our Gang. I try not to drip all over the Mat.

When I get to the Nexersys station, D, the woman I spoke with last week, is already boxing one station. Good thing there's two. I wave Hi to her, she nods and then we're both in our own sparring worlds. I always do the Follow Me Avatar first. But this time I remember what the trainer in the video says about the jab and cross: left hand to jab the right pad, right hand to cross punch the left pad. But I still can't register Lead Kicks or Power Kicks and the Avatar reports zeros for those areas. D tells me that I might not be kicking fast enough. She's having the same issue with the station I'm at which is why she's on the other one. After 3 rounds of Avatar training, I'm pleased to report a tremendous improvement, and 3 rounds of Sparring where this week's points are the highest I've ever scored. Sweat's dripping off my nose again.

The gym scale reads 107.8 lbs. I'd stand in the hot shower a lot longer except that two of the male staff are in the bathroom trying to repair one of the sink drains. One of them is the gym owner. When I get home, my scale reads 106.4 lbs. I'm kind of surprised. I haven't been that light in a long time. What I am is ravenously hungry though.

Fanatical Friday Workout:
35 min Interval 7 = 4.44 miles + 35 min Interval 8 = 4.49  Grand Total = 8.93 miles Wahoo!
Cage Stretch with BW Heel Dips & Calf Raises and Side Kicks
Mat Stretch with 10 wide legged DBPUs, 3 rolling, and 10 regular DBPUs (these are indeed harder than the wide-legged variety), splits, etc.
Nexersys 3 rounds Follow Me Avatar
Nexersys 3 rounds Sparring Avatar (874 points)
Quick photos attached with the stats... 
Left: Follow Me Avatar program stats
Left: Sparring Avatar program stats

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...