Wednesday, September 11, 2013

It's a Solemn Day but I'm Still A Gym Rat



Today is Wednesday. It's also the 12th anniversary of 9/11, when terrorists hijacked several passenger jet planes and aimed them at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Several thousand people died. We have small American flags all along our road to commemorate the event. The school bus arrives 2 minutes early and we almost miss it. We all seem to know someone who lost someone. I get to the gym and the TV in the locker room is broadcasting the Memorial Ceremony. B comes in as I'm stashing my gear. She's in a hurry to leave because it's her husband's day off from work. She wants to know what I've been up to so I point to the TV and tell her that my son and I have been distributing flags. She scoffs at the TV and says, "Why do they have to do that? It's just ruining the day." I'm not quite sure how to respond to her so I say quietly, "Well, a lot of people lost people and they want everyone to remember them." She softens a bit, perhaps embarrassed by her outburst. Like I've said before, I'm having trouble relating to a woman like that.

Still, it's Leg Day and I'm determined to get my double cardio done before hitting the weights. The treadmills are full of runners (it's too hot and humid already for an outdoor run) but the ellipticals are vacant. The Precors are perhaps the least favorite cardio machines among the regulars here. Just the way I like it. I punch in Interval 7 and then Hill 6 because I'm saving the double interval day for the end of the week. Tomorrow I'll just do a single cardio session to have energy for Arms. I'm a tad disappointed in my mileage today, thinking 5 minutes into my 2nd session that I'm really not sure if I'm going to be able to finish because I'm so bloody tired. And yet, I push on. Because I'm stubborn. The humidity, even with air conditioning, makes panting a lot less satisfying. I don't make eight and a half, but I do make over eight. It's enough.

Within a minute of descending from the cardio area, I've set up for Squats at the Smith machine. The gym is really empty today! Again, just the way I like it. My right knee pinged a little while on the elliptical. It's complaining a bit more with the squats. For the first set I drop down heels to butt with just the bar and try to get 25 reps as fast as I can go. This is a lot harder than it sounds. Especially after 8+ miles. Then I do my 12-rep sets, increasing the weight by 20 after every set. When I hit 155, my right knee complains a bit more forcing me to widen my stance. I can't go as low with the heavier weights because of my knees, although the drop sets seem easier. By the time I've stripped the bar to do another "speed set", I find that I have to pause at least twice to catch my breath between reps. Sweat is pouring off my face and I feel as if I've jumped into a pool with all my clothes on.

I skipped Dead Lifts last week so now I absolutely have to do them. Or at least try. I figure regular Dead Lifts will be easier on my lower back so that's what I do at the Smith, starting out with just the bar to try and get the form right. Then I do a set with a pair of 25s. It doesn't feel bad. Then I add a pair of 10s. That makes it 115 lbs (but really, less because this is a Smith machine) and I do three sets of 12 reps, remembering the movement as a Stand Up and Thrust Hips Out motion. I confess I'd watched a hilarious video on forms posted by Buff-Dudes.com which helped me a lot. They also have some hysterical YouTube posts about the people we all hate at the gym entitled Gym Crimes.

Cage Stretches follow, then Seated Leg Extensions. And abs. Lots of sit ups because I got bored waiting for the Leg Curl machine while two middle-aged women chatted on it. I hate interrupting people. I'd rather just work out. I know I did this weight last week, but it feels harder today, maybe because I did Dead Lifts today. I definitely felt them in my glutes and hamstrings. Mat Stretch ends everything and I get a good stretch, although I'm still sweaty and have to mop up after myself with my towel. The gym scale reads 108.6 lbs -- not so surprising considering I have to peel my clothes off to shower. It's blazing hot outside and the ice cold RTD protein shake is deliciously refreshing. Tomorrow is Arm Day. Oh boy oh boy!

Leg Day Workout:
35 min Interval7 = 4.47 miles + 35 min Hill6 = 3.94  Grand Total = 8.41 miles Yay!
Smith Squats: 25 @ bar (heel to butt, as fast as I can go) / 12 @ 95 / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 12 @ 155 / 12 @ 135 / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 95 / 15+5+5 @ bar (heel to butt, as fast as I can go, but dang this is a lot harder than it was before!)
Cage Stretch with Heel Dips, Calf Raises and Side Kicks
Seated Leg Extension: 12 @ 75 lbs / 5 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Flat Board Twisting Sit Ups: 150 (I was soooo bored I did more)
Seated Leg Curls: 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 lbs / 4 x 6 @ 120 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Mat Stretch with 10 DBPUs and 5 rolling DBPUs; splits, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...