Thursday, September 5, 2013

Abbreviated Leg Day

I'm really missing doing double cardio days. Well, my mind is. And probably my lungs. Probably not the rest of me as was evident today when I upped my Leg Extension weight after sets of Seated Leg Curls. I even skipped doing Dead Lifts today because I was worried about my time management. Plus I'd been waiting for the Smith so when I got on, a crestfallen dude seemed to be hovering near by and I didn't want to completely monopolize the station. The tall black woman (TBW) using the Smith to squat had a big plate and a tiny one on the bar. I didn't stare so I'm thinking a 45 and a 5 per side. Instead, I asked how many more sets and she said "Just one more." I nodded and then I added, "Good weight" because it's nice to see some real weight on the bars when women lift. She actually smiled a little. Cool.

I think she might be like me, not really interested in chatting and a bit leery of overly-friendly people. (I know Mo doesn't like her, but Mo is a bit manic sometimes. I"m not sure if it's menopause because she can't afford hormone therapy anymore, or if she's always been like that.) I suppose I could've tried Dead Lifts with just the weighted barbells, but I didn't, probably because Nixon, M and The Mayor were hanging out chatting by the mirrors there. Tomorrow I'm going to do two cardio sessions because I don't feel as good as I should on a leg day. Perhaps I'm going through cardio withdrawal.

Program Interval 7 seemed just as hard as yesterday except that I left the low intervals at incline 5 instead of upping them to 6, which is what I normally do. I realize that it lessens the difference between the highs and lows of the Interval program so today I just left everything to the default setting, except for the resistance because Level 6 is a bit rough on my knees. So I dropped it to Level 5. Still, I managed to do over four and a half miles so I was happy.

I really only did three exercises today, excluding abs and stretching: Squats, Seated Leg Curls and Seated Leg Extensions. It feels a little pathetic, almost as if I've cheated. It's not something I'm comfortable with, so I'll be back to my regular schedule next week as soon as school starts!

Abbreviated Leg Day Workout:
35 min cardio Interval 7 = 4.59 miles Yay!
Smith Rack Squats: 25 @ bar (butt to heels as fast as I can go) / 12 @ 95 / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 12 @ 155 / 12 @ 135 / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 95 / 25 @ bar (again, heels to butt as fast as I can go)
Cage Stretch with heel dips and side kicks
Seated Leg Curls: 12 @ 90 lbs / 12 @ 105 / 12 @ 112.5 / 3 x 6 @ 120 lbs
I go slow on the last two reps of the heavy sets just to feel the negative movement.
Seated Leg Extensions: 2 x 12 @ 75 lbs / 12 @ 82.5 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 90 lbs
I'm really surprised that this doesn't hurt more because it has in the past.
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Up: 125
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch with 10 rolling Dive Bomber Push Ups (because my iPod isn't full blast, I can actually hear my shoulders clicking every time I push forward) and 3 with hands under waist, splits, etc...

The gym scale reads 110.6 lbs today. My home scale reads 108 lbs. Yep, I think I'm actually getting a tad bigger, much as I don't really want to. I just want to be stronger, but I think that's really hard to achieve without putting on some density.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...