Saturday, August 29, 2026

Moving Forward

Because I'm still upset that my health insurance pulled a bait & switch on my ability to see an acupuncturist in-network, I spent an hour on the phone yesterday making sure that I could see the neurosurgeon and that he was indeed in-network. Then I spent an hour or more figuring out what I needed to make an online appointment, only to discover that this only entitled me to see one of five docs in the practice, but not the one I wanted. Which meant I had to call. 

Luckily, all my info posted to their intake site so it was easy to fill in a few blanks with an actual person. More surprising was the fact that they could see me this Monday. I figured it'd be a few weeks or maybe even months. This was quick and kind of threw me off balance. But maybe it's a sign that it's time to get this spinal stenosis fixed. Or at least I hope it can be fixed. Or at least, not worse. 

There is a genetic component to spinal stenosis; my dad developed this condition in his later years and it greatly hampered his ability to walk through NYC. After he passed, my brother and I were sorting through his effects and found unopened packages of fentanyl patches for pain relief. I feel the same way; the most I will do is pop some ibuprofen and acetaminophen at 5 AM because laying down is not a good position for this nerve inflammation. 

I got to the gym much later than I had planned but I had errands to run beforehand. Temps had been reasonable during the week but it was downright hot today. The gym wasn't ice cold. The Aerobics Room was almost steamy, which is kind of disgusting. My pedaling still hurts a lot. (It doesn't help that the Precor is so old that parts are falling off, like the little shelf to the right that I normally prop my phone on. The left side shelf isn't as useful.) Pull-ups hurt even before I reach overhead and only get worse. Today I went back to doing the Triceps routine with some DB lateral delts and biceps. 

Fancy box has its own light
The only position that seemed to really aggravate my sciatica was DB Lateral Delt Raises and that was based on the stance. That, and standing upright while doing arm circles. At least the Air Squats were less painful today. Standing properly does not make my sciatica happy. When my kid was home from college, they remarked that I was standing and walking funny. Yeah, I think I'm listing to the left to compensate for my right side aggravation. 

My husband showed me he was paying attention when he put a box on my table. I'd asked him for Australian black opal stud earrings and he actually got them for me even though I'd barely given him any notice. It'd be nice if he'd actually waited until our actual Silver Jubilee anniversary, but he said he was worried about losing them, and I know what that's like: buy something early and hide it to keep it safe, and then you hide it too well and don't remember where it is after a few months. They are fancier than I expected, and he admitted that he knew that but given the short notice, he didn't have a lot of choices. I'm pleased though because they are extremely pretty earrings. 

I am a bit perplexed by the Google Health app that now powers the FitBit watch on my wrist. Today, it tells me that I've exceeded the weekly cardio goal of 150 minutes. I've only been to the gym twice this week and count two sessions of 35 minutes. That's 70 minutes. I guess the app is counting all the other walking about? 

28 August 2026 1:34-3:25
Sciatica Friday
Sunny & pleasant & SCIATICA & old equipment

Precor elliptical #1 (2:12)
Program #1
Time: 30 + 5 (5186)
Distance: 2.71
Cal: 294
Precor HR: 141, 196
Google Health: 43-132
(Foot numb / calf clenched )

HGPU 14.5 very ugly
Sciatica makes this so painful

Skull Crushers/RipSkulls (2:25-3:01)
30 lbs x 24/22/20/24 reps x 3
(Progressive decrease until set 4)
S/s with
Standing DB Laterals w/ 10 lbs x 15 reps
15 x 15 x 2
S/s wit
Seated DB Alt Curls w/ 10 lbs x 12
15 x 12 x 2


Balmy Aerobics Room!
20 Piriformis/Hip flex (3:05-3:25)
20 Hamstring / 20 nerve flossing
Skip Dead Bugs too painful
50 crunches x 2
Numb toes intensify during crunches if feet on floor; better if knees to chest
12 Piriformis stretches
Child’s Pose
Cat/Cow stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Arm rotations 20
Skip Push-Ups 26
Air Squats 25 (mild sciatica!)
Skip Neck Stretch / eye yoga


No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving Forward

Because I'm still upset that my health insurance pulled a bait & switch on my ability to see an acupuncturist in-network, I spent an...