Lots of rain means lots of biting insects. It poured Sunday morning, I wore a raincoat, sprayed repellent on myself, and still got bit (on the spots I obviously missed). The leaves are already turning red and orange at the edges of the roadways. With all the rainfall this summer, I suspect the foliage will be quite brilliant. Still, I'm looking at investing in an electric snowblower cuz between the sciatica and the wonky shoulder, snow shoveling might not be possible for me. And then what? Maybe I should just get a good push shovel?
I have a bunch of errands to do tomorrow so I forced myself to go to the gym today. It's been nearly a week so really, I should go more often. I actually poured water on my head and neck before I ventured onto the elliptical machine. That helped some although I still had to fight the urge to scratch my thighs, elbows and shoulders as I heated up pedaling. Pedaling on "level" ground vs higher altitudes hurts more. Pedaling forward hurts more than backwards. Program 1 offers a variety of levels. The cool down period is just a steady level 7. Actually, it's whatever level I set it to but 7 is right in the middle.I skipped the lunge stretch of my right leg at the Stretch Cage to see if that would make pull-ups less painful. Yes, slightly less painful cuz that stretch makes my calf and glute throb. I did better on pull-ups, although not great. But, it's also been a week. I might do better if I can make it back in a few days. And even though my shoulder has been very twingey, I decided to do the Tricep Routine.
The first set was tentative because the shoulder was cranky, but as soon as it warmed up, things got better and I didn't need to cut reps. I just needed to move slower and allow enough rest between sets. I've developed a knot under the left shoulder blade and doing Reverse DB Flys would definitely aggravate those muscles so I've replaced that with more attention to biceps with Seated Alternate DB Curls. Sitting means you can't swing your body to help move those weights up. I also make sure to flex the triceps when I straighten my arms at the bottom of the curl movement. After four sets, I'm ready to lay down in the Aerobics Room.
It's too humid and warm, mainly because the Senior class ended in there a few hours ago. I skip everything that aggravates my sciatica and I don't feel guilty about it. I am worried though about the recovery from spinal surgery. It seems that some people take months in recovery before obtaining relief. I can't be out of commission for months! I have dogs!So, I'm really hoping that either my sciatica calms down a lot by itself, or that the pain doc can successfully treat this nerve inflammation with a steroid shot. Meanwhile, I have an uncomfortable knot under my left shoulder blade and I've dug out my trusty old wooden double doorknob knot reliever. I found it at a hippy dippy shop in lower Manhattan decades ago and it's much better than using a tennis ball to roll under the knot-afflicted area. I'm still self-medicating with an ibuprofen (400mg) & acetaminophen (500mg) combo once a day. It helps and I figure it shouldn't ruin my liver or kidneys...
| Sold on the color |
The truly sad thing is that the pants are well-made, with the stupid shallow pockets triple-stitched and finished with a machine blanket stitch for sturdiness. They were just too shallow, as if the manufacturers decided this was where they were going to cut costs: cheap out on the pocket material. They could've just not sewn pockets at all! Makes no sense. Maybe that's why I found them for $8 at the Job Lot a few summers ago?
No comments:
Post a Comment