Monday, January 29, 2024

Back at Home Base

I have half a mind to keep my current gym membership and join the new gym as well, but I'm only toying with the idea. The total monthly cost wouldn't be horribly prohibitive, but is it worth having "redundant" memberships if only because each venue offers a substantially different experience? I'm assured by the owner of my current gym that there are no plans to exchange the old Precor ellipticals for anything else and the Stretch Cage is there to stay. The shower is definitely nicer and the locker room slightly user-friendlier. 

On the other hand, joining a new gym offers the relief of anonymity and there are so many more cardio machines so no waiting around for a machine to free up. While the Cybex arc glider at PF doesn't give me a back ache, I'm not sure if this is the machine I can use for long term cardio training. The LifeFitness cross-trainers aren't made for people built like me and I think 25 minutes is my limit for this equipment. Until I get some AirPod clips to keep the earbuds from potentially falling into the step machine, I'm not getting on those. My husband ordered magnetic AirPod safety straps for me to test out but they haven't arrived yet.

There is also the thrill of trying new equipment, but I also don't want to waste my time. Am I really willing to spend an hour wandering around testing whether I fit into a machine or not? There are barely any mirrors in the PF locker room, but the entire gym space is cozy and well-heated. The heavier BBs at PF definitely made me more sore than I expected when I did a few sets for triceps last Friday. 

Banging my knees into the back of the assisted pull-up machine was definitely a bummer. Maybe because of that experience, my pull-ups today at Gold's were a ton better and I only resorted to some slight body english (not exuberant enough to be considered kipping) for the last 5 reps. That's the best I've done in months! But my cardio on the elliptical sucked. Can I blame it on wearing AirPods that don't block out the noisy chatter of two guys in the row in front of me? I can't hear any music as long as they're kibbutzing! Ugh. I really miss having my wired earbuds to cancel all the "ambient" noise. Gold's is a smaller gym, and a lot noisier. 

The rest of my workout was routine and nothing seemed horrible. Except for Wall Squats. But at least I could listen to my music during those torturous 90 seconds. The blood pressure medication appears to be working, although not as quickly as I'd like. But I'm impatient. I have a follow up appointment with my PC in 3 weeks and she'll tell me if I'm on track or not.

29 January 2024 11:17-12:42
Dreary Monday Should I stay or go?

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5
Distance: 2.89
Cal: 323
Avg Hr: NA 162, 205-82
Fitbit: 54-159

HGPU 20

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5 alt/ss = 100
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg bridges
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper stretch w twists
Walking lunges 36 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...