Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Post Storm Heather and the cardio streak is broken

It's been really cold this week with temps barely reaching the 20s. Yesterday, most of us stayed home since roadways were slick and auto accidents are something I try to avoid, even though the Bark Park is a mere 1/4 mile away. Instead, my kid and I walked our pups up and down our road and back through our yard into the swamp and back. And true to form, one of our dogs refused to poop. Eventually his brother succumbed to nature's call, but he's less finicky about his preferred spots. 

These are dogs that are loathe to soil any place too close to home. It's in their nature and other Jindo dog parents have the same problems with their pups. Oh well. That just means we definitely had to go to the park this morning. Luckily, it's bright and sunny and there's no wind.

Temps have crept up to 16F by the time the windshield is defrosted. I've been making good use of the heated water bowl. It just requires that I bring liquid water to the park since jugs left overnight have frozen solid. In the past, folks would plug in space heaters and plant the frozen bottles in front of them  (the shed has two outlets, benches, an overhead light and storage shelves). But that's a long time to wait for drinkable water. Better to bring water and take an empty jug home. Snowstorm Heather literally lasted an entire day, and the snow was light and fluffy but interspersed with sleet. It was the freezing rain afterward that left a crunchy topcoat everywhere like candy brittle. 

My kid is home for a few more days before returning to college. We plan to try a different recipe for cranberry scones. His last effort resulted in 8 very tasty wedges but we've decided that maybe we don't want ground cloves and perhaps more cranberries in the next batch. My kid actually used our tiny marble mortar and ground the whole cloves into powder, then used a salad chopper to handle the fresh cranberries. This new recipe uses fresh or frozen cranberries, some orange zest and no cloves. We put the remaining fresh cranberries in the freezer, along with a stick of butter. This recipe calls for a lot of chilling so I tell my kid that if we don't have room in the freezer, we can just stick it outside cuz it'll def be cold enough.

I sent another batch of books to soldiers stationed at Fort Sill through Operation Paperback. It's a good way to clear the bookshelves and not have to put books in the trash. There was a huge line at the post office, mostly with people who claimed to have mail being held for them but have neglected to bring the actual notice. One fellow brought a notice that didn't have his name or address on it. Which meant it wasn't a notice for him, or his mail. Ugh.


It's nearly noon by the time I get to the gym and although it's not as crowded as Monday, I'm still sandwiched between two fellows on the elliptical row. My speed isn't nearly as good as before--I've lost .02 miles. Oh well. My lower back and upper arms are a little stiff from shoveling the walkway and clearing my car last night. This morning my car was good, except for the ice on the windshield, and only on the front windshield. Ugh. Sometimes the ice is on the inside! I've had this windshield replaced so it's probably not sealed properly.

Pull-ups go better than I expect. Everything else is routine. Except for Wall Squats. Because they make me scream inside my head for the last 20 seconds. Then I'm done and it's time to go. Yaaay me! I got a new gear bag, not that my old bag is broken or has holes in it. Actually, it's totally fine. Except that the white vinyl liner is peeling on the inside and every time I pull something out of it, like my gloves or earbuds, little white flakes sprinkle everywhere like body dandruff. And I'm already self-conscious about that. I can't seem to find a suitable replacement bag so I'm left with a half mesh, half solid bag that is a skosh too small. Because the next size up seems like a duffle that is just too big. At least the insides won't shred.


I started watching Six Feet Under. Again. Folks at the Bark Park were talking about the series finale and how perfect it was. It was a show I really liked. I'd forgotten about the super slick faux commercials for mortuary products that intersperse episodes in Season 1. I'd forgotten how young and smooth Peter Krause was because I see an older more worn version of him in 9-1-1 with Angela Bassett. Uptight Michael C. Hall is thoroughly annoying and fussy until he threatens a rep from a funeral chain competitor, then we can witness a menacing Dexter. It's a wicked transformation in a matter of seconds. Watching that is like watching magic.

I've also been watching Ugly Betty, a show that's extremely entertaining except for the way the trans character Alexis has been written. Perhaps they just didn't know any better, but 9-1-1: Lone Star handles transgender issues much better with an actual transgender actor (see Brian Michael Smith) playing a transgender character. The Ugly Betty Alexis character is just ridiculous, especially when she wakes from a coma and behaves like a cis male who has suddenly discovered she has boobs. Isn't that a vaudeville act? Fortunately, Alexis disappears from the show. Problem solved.

Yeah, I'm staying up too late and not getting that restful 8 hours of sleep. Worse yet, I'm losing my ability to tolerate any alcohol whatsoever, so that one drink I'd have while watching TV at night is no longer something that feels pleasant. Like an old biddy, I'm drinking chamomile tea on the sofa. Ugh. Sleepy Time not only offers flavors (vanilla, honey), but super strength relaxation: chamomile and valerian root. Hhhhmmmm.

17 January 2024 11:58-1:21
Arctic Wednesday post Storm Heather

Precor elliptical #2
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5904)
Distance: 2.94
Cal: 331
Avg Hr: NA 166, 205-80
Fitbit: 59-169

HGPU 18

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5 alt/ss = 100 (or 7?)
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg bridges
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper stretch w side bends & twists
Walking lunges 41 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer's Gonna Be Unbearable

It was already near 60F when I woke up this morning. Already too freakin' hot! Dogs were panting after a few quick romps through the par...