Thursday, May 21, 2020

Good Intentions

I've been trying to work out three times a week but I always manage to find something else to do. I'm lucky to hit my garage gym twice weekly. Today was the perfect day for yard work. More importantly, my neighbor didn't have any cars parked next to the driveway hedges. That offered me the opportunity to finish "trimming" the privets I'd started on last weekend as I needed to stand in their driveway (which is at least a foot higher than ours) to reach some of the bigger stems.

After four hours, I'd managed to chop most of them down to a reasonable 5-6 foot height. There are a few stems that are too thick for anvil loppers so I'll have to take an actual saw to them. After those are done, I'll brace myself to attack the privets along the road. The road is higher than the house side of the hedges so I'll have to do all my lopping from the roadway. I have all summer but it's best to do this in the spring when the shrubs will have a chance to leaf out.

After four hours, my hands are sore. Shoulders and arms will be tomorrow since I've had to hold my arms overhead most of the time. I don't want hedges shorter than I am even if they will leaf out in a few years. I must be a true introvert because I'm perfectly happy spending hours by myself clipping branches. No need to wear headphones because there's no incessant chatter or bad gym music to ignore. I heard bees humming, not in the hedges but in the lawn behind me. We haven't mowed this year so the grass is unruly and peppered with dandelions and purple spires of ground ivy.

Meanwhile, my husband turned me on to a talented acapella named Jared Halley who collaborates with himself to sing amazing covers. Here's one of my favorite videos (I just love the frames where he dances around). Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...