Sunday, April 19, 2020

Sunny Sunday Workout

I know I'm not the only one having trouble sticking with an exercise routine. Working out at home is fraught with distractions and excuses. Gold's Gym has a FaceBook group where members across the country can share, complain, question, and vent. Recently, I discovered that Gold's is closing several company-owned gyms, mostly in the midwest. Luckily, franchised gyms, like the one I belong to, aren't affected. It's also the reason I haven't put my $20/mos membership on hold like some people I know. That still costs $5/mos. Some gyms have graciously offered this perk to their members upfront, but mine has not. You'd have to ask specifically for it to be done. It's not an exorbitant amount so I'm inclined to let it go unless the gyms stay closed for more than a few months.

Right now, it seems as if the plan is to reopen restaurants, movie theaters, and gyms before schools. Today, in the tri-state area, marinas and golf courses are allowed to reopen, but only for private boats (not rentals) and individual golfers (no parties). It feels socio-economically discriminatory (I don't own a boat, do you?), but then again, people are really bad at following rules, even social-distancing rules. More than once, my husband has witnessed people pulling their masks down to speak to people in close proximity. Because people (sigh) are stupid.

It's a bright sunny Sunday and I have no excuse for not trudging out to the garage, unlike the past few days where dreary skies and rain not quite cold enough to form flakes was a constant threat. I get on the elliptical and know I'm not making 3 miles: I'm breathing too hard. I've reverted back to my cushy sneakers because my toes felt squished in the normally okay extra-wide 6.5 trainers. I don't think my feet are getting wider but at least my big toe is showing signs of a brand new toenail under the hard, scabby crust. Yaaay for the little things.

Panting makes me worried that I'll hyperventilate and faint, but I don't feel faint. My fingers go a little numb. My right foot hurts under the metatarsal joints. The bottom of my lungs hurt, but don't actually burn. I wish I wasn't mouth breathing but my sinuses feel congested and eventually, I'll have to blow my nose. I tell myself it's okay to quit early, quit after 25 minutes, quit after 30 minutes, quit after another 2 minutes. And then 35 minutes have passed. And I'm done. And I've made it past 3 miles. Yaaay for the little things!

My workouts are longer each session as I remember old exercises or discover equipment covered in dust and cobwebs. I feel a bit weak doing pushups which makes me realize that I'm not doing enough pressing movements. While I have exercises for triceps, the pectorals and associated muscles aren't very challenged. Shoulders are similarly neglected. I could do more than 25 pushups. But I told my glaucoma doctor I wouldn't, so I haven't. Maybe I could space them out throughout my workout?

My right shoulder and elbow are slightly achy, most likely due to the sudden exuberance of one of my dogs during walks. He's a skinny, skittish sled-dog type who has no trouble using both back feet to push off in front of me (I call it "bunny hopping") in an effort to drag me forward after squirrels, cats, robins, sparrows, whatever's in the hedges or skittering across the lawn... The elbow/forearm only bothers me when I attempt pullups so today I only get 16 reps. I do add a few "new" movements to the mix though, like a set of DB Presses with the 15 lb dumbbells I finally decided to dust off. Those presses aren't even close to being as taxing as pushups, or even the pressing movement I catch myself unconsciously doing with the EZ bar when getting into position for Rip Skulls. Funny, right? Especially since both equal 30 lbs.

With the Rip Skulls, I have to make sure I'm positioned properly on the bench because it's short and not only is it uncomfortable to have your head unsupported during this movement, but it feels downright dangerous. Like I'm running the risk of an internal decapitation, which isn't normally survivable. (You can see me inching myself backward after each rep until my head is on the bench in the video below.)


I replace Lunges with Split Squats and discover I'm too short to use the bench to rest my back leg. Instead, one of the plastic bins sits low enough for me. After a few sets of Rip Skulls, I'm bored enough to play with the DBs again, this time doing some straightforward Front Raises. That, of course, lends itself to DB Lateral Raises. Even with light weights, I'm careful not to lock my elbows or raise my arms too high. Shoulders are delicate joints!

Almost done. I lose count doing reps for EZ Bar Curls and do a few extra just in case. The same happens with EZ Bar Reverse Grip Curls. I check my phone to see how many reps. Okay, more than 25. I could probably go to 30 next time. There are no mirrors in the garage so I use my phone's camera and video function to sporadically check my form. Not as strict as I'd like but not horrible. It'll do.


Sunny Day workout

Vision elliptical
Program: manual
35 min
Miles: 3.07
Calories: 285
HR 74-126 (66-89 avg)

Crunches 60/60
Elbow Plank 60s
Bench Knee-Ins 60
Bicycles 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Pushups 25 elbows flared
HGPU 16 
Bodyweight squats 25
Strap Inverted Row 12, 12
DB Press 15 lbs each x 25
Split Squat 12 each leg
EZ Bar Rip Skulls 30 lbs x 12 x 3
DB Alt Front Raises 15 lbs x 12 x 2
DB Lateral Raises 15 lbs x 12 x 3
EZ Bar BB Curl 30 x 27 reps
EZ Bar RG Curl 30 x 27

Quick stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...