Monday, April 20, 2020

Lazy At Home Workout

After sitting in front of my computer for a few hours, I decided that I really needed to do something more physical than walk to my car and go shopping. I'd already done that this morning. Being dragged up and down the road happens twice daily and I don't really consider that exercise. Maybe for the pup. It is a strenuous activity but I'm not counting it.

So, today I decided to try and do all 12 bodyweight exercises listed in the online article I referenced in my last post. Of course, at the end of the article, it states that these comprise two separate workouts to be done alternately every other day for only 30 seconds per movement for 3-4 rounds. Uh, maybe next time but not today.

I'm lazy enough to do all these movements in the clothes I happen to be wearing at the moment. So I'm not changing out of flannel shirt and pants and a pair of old Clark leather slip-ons. Some of these exercises are easy because I've done them before, and some are new and thus, more difficult. There's one that I find downright impossible and not because I'm doing all the exercises in the order that they're listed in the article.

I thought the Superman Pull would be hard, but it wasn't. Next time I'll do it to a timer instead of counting for reps. Alternating Bird Dogs are also too easy. Mountain climbers had me trying not to slide across the wood floor. The Split Squats actually made my quads too tired to complete a proper Pistol Squat. Instead, I wound up dropping onto a footstool like the model shows in the article's example, then standing up by pressing my hand into the bent leg's thigh. So not a total failure there.

Plank Up-Downs got the heart rate moving (as did Mountain Climbers). Alternating Side Lunges were a bit odd, probably because I had trouble not sliding across the floor for each rep. I'm not sure if I'm doing the Superman correctly because the model seems to have a greater range of motion, or she just has longer, thinner limbs than I do. And then we get to V-Ups. I put down a yoga mat folded in half for cushioning. At first, I'm only able to curl my upper body towards my legs, which is more a crunch than a sit-up movement. The exercise calls for a straight torso that hinges at the hips, which means the pivot point is for me, my tailbone. Supremely unpleasant and I'm only able to do 2 that way. I do a few more extremely imperfect ones, even testing out the suggested table-top leg position. But that doesn't alleviate my issue with all my weight balancing on my bony coccyx. This isn't an exercise I'm willing to practice.

I modify the Burpees because my knees do not appreciate jumping. My right shoulder isn't really happy with the faux push-up that starts the exercise either. But I get 14 done. I'm warmed up but not sweaty. Perfect. Stormy weather predicted for tomorrow. Maybe I'll use the elliptical if the power holds up. But I won't need electricity for the other things in my routine.


Lazy At Home Workout

Air Squats 12 reps x 3
Push-ups 25
Split Squats 12 each leg
Superman Pull 15
Alternating Bird Dog 60s
Mountain Climbers 60s
Pistol Squats 0 / half 12 each
Plank Up-Downs 60s
Alt Side Lunges 12 each side
Flexing Superman 60s
V-Up 8 imperfect
Burpees w/o Jump 14

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...