Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Hump Day Workout

This gym rat is having a hard time staying motivated, especially when the weather's bad or there are other things that need my attention. Wind and torrents of rain kept me indoors except when we had to walk the pups on Monday. Yesterday, a bright sunny calm day with no expectations for any irregularities saw our power go out, the generator kick on, and the house remains dark. WTF?!

I had to drive toward town to get a strong enough cell signal to call my electrician. Our fuses looked good and the generator is fairly new. I shut the machine down. The power came back on by the time the electrician showed up. He ran a systems check on everything and couldn't find anything wrong. But he did show me where the transfer switch box was and how to determine if it was working properly. Ugh. At least he didn't charge me for the housecall.

Today's another bright sunny day but I'm only ready to head out to my garage by early afternoon. My husband is still working on site during this pandemic but seems to be coming home earlier and earlier each day. I'm seriously not used to having so many bodies in the house all the time. Plus the strain this is putting on our septic system, especially with a teenage boy whose showers run over 30 minutes each day.

It's been 3 days since my last workout and I feel like a pathetic, out of shape slug. As usual, I'm freezing and start pedaling while bundled in fleece. It takes me at least 5 minutes before I'm brave enough to grab the cold metal HR monitor handles with my ungloved hands. And I only do that because I want to keep an eye on my HR. It's too early to tell if it matters, but I did imbibe a dose of SuperBeets about an hour before I started my workout.

I still tell myself that it's okay if I barely make 2 miles today. Because that's how I feel. As if I'll just keel over from exertion midway through my set. I know I'm not going to beat my last mileage, but it'd be nice to get close to 3 miles. Oddly, my HR is higher at the beginning of my workout, averaging (if this machine can be trusted) 130 bpm. During the second half, my HR is considerably lower, bouncing between 74 and 86. Weird. I have no consistency. Also weird that it can drop to 64 for several seconds toward the last 10 minutes.

I bring a towel for extra padding. I'm such a princess that the hard cell mats are still too harsh on my tailbone. I'm not sure I can do pull-ups today but I give it a go, so I'm surprised (aren't I always?) when I can pull myself up. And I'm happy that I can muscle out one more than last time. Then I do bodyweight squats to give my upper body a rest before tackling Inverted Rows on the Power Straps. Then back to legs with lunges. Next time I might spice it up with Split Squats, which is just putting the back leg up on the bench during the "lunge." I'm not confident enough to even attempt a Pistol Squat, but I'll get bored enough if the gyms stay closed for another month. I really miss going to the gym.

The bench is flimsy enough that I put the towel on it to pad my tailbone. Doing Rip Skulls shouldn't cause your lower back discomfort as you try to anchor yourself when you pull your arms overhead. I had my vest and hat on but got too warm. But I got my three sets done. And my EZ bar curls, and then my RG EZ bar curls. Some stretches. And done.

Online, I've seen a few "workout at home articles" that cater to people without much equipment. Here's one that I like: Best Bodyweight Exercises You Can Do At Home.



HumpDay workout

Vision elliptical
Program: manual
35 min
Miles: 3.02
Calories: 280
HR 64-140 (avg 75-90)

Crunches 60/60
Elbow Plank 60s
Bench Knee-Ins 30 x 2
Bicycles 60
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Pushups 25 elbows flared
(No click no pain)
HGPU 18
Bodyweight squats 25
Strap Inverted Row 12, 12
Lunges 25
EZ Bar Rip Skulls 30 lbs x 12 x 3
EZ Bar BB Curl 30 x 25 reps
EZ Bar RG Curl 30 x 25

Quick stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...