Monday, June 10, 2019

Mashed Spud Stupor

I was walking around in a stupor this morning, even though I got all my gear together and my son off to school on time. Getting on the elliptical for HIIT cardio was difficult and I had a hard time maintaining decent SPMs (strides per minute) during the high-intensity sections. I blame last night's supper which included mashed potatoes. I don't prepare them very often except when my son makes a special request. I prefer to bake Idaho russets in the oven. However, I had a 5 lb bag of Yukon Golds and those make awesome mashed spuds. Just peel, boil, mash, add salt & pepper, butter and half 'n half. Done!

Both aforementioned potatoes rank high (over 70) on the glycemic index, and mashing them raises the GI even further. That might explain why I felt hung-over this morning. And my stomach was unusually noisy last night and this morning. Maybe it was the goat milk yogurt I had as a snack? Goat milk is generally seen as benign for people with lactose and other intolerances. Perhaps I've picked up a new one?

It's not until after I finish the HIIT cardio course that I start to feel normal. Everything afterward felt good, which is weird, considering how miserable I started out. Smith RDLs weren't exactly easy, but not really hard. Smith RG BB Rows were fine, except my hand started to cramp and I had to adjust my grip a lot. Even Close Grip Lat Pulldowns were fine. I was quite pleased to get 12 reps for all 3 sets!

I got to all the equipment I needed, except for the 40 lb BB for RG BB Curls. Hollywood beat me to it. However, that gave me the excuse to try a new exercise: seated alternating DB hammer curls. It was the only thing I could think of that would work both biceps and forearms simultaneously, without wrecking my elbows.

I finish with another 20 plus minutes on the elliptical, and a leisurely Mat Stretch. I'm really hungry though. But at least my stomach has settled down.

Monday Mashed Spud Stupor Pull

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 282
Miles 2.61
HR 133-192 (105, 97, 83, 109)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Push Ups 60
Crunches Legs Up 40
Bicycles 50
Crunches knees bent 50
Horizontal Scissors 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12, 12, 12

Smith RG BB Row
80lbs x 25 x 3 sets

Lat Pull Downs
85 x 12
100 x 12
115 x 12, 12, 12

Seated Hammer Grip Alt DB Curls
20 lbs x 15 each x 3 sets

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Calories 207
Miles 2.32
HR 142-188 (127)

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...