Saturday, June 15, 2019

Making Minor Changes

I felt too tired to do HIIT cardio for the third time this week, so instead, I selected Program 3 for 30 minutes, plus a 5-minute cooldown. Getting the blood moving briskly gives me the energy to do pull-ups, pushups, and core. I feel much more awake and find myself singing along to my tunes on the Step Mill. More pull-ups, and back to... the elliptical, because the cross-trainers are all occupied, the Expresso bike is super quad intensive and the Octane puts too much lateral stress on my knees. However, I use the Interval program for 15 minutes (plus a 5-minute cooldown). 

I haven't done Intervals in a long time so it feels a bit unfamiliar. It's much less intense than the Norwegian 4 x 4 program I do, so it's perfect for how I feel. It can also be modified so that the peaks, which default to a rise level of 10 and resistance level of 8, instead has a resistance of 5. The default rest phase is level 4, resistance 1. (With HIIT cardio, I set the elliptical to level 7 and resistance 1.)

I've promised to help another Scout mom with her son's Eagle fundraiser dinner this evening. There's a lot of prep work to ready the hall where the event will be held. Which means I can't be so spent that I'm useless. I skip Walking Lunges. I also decide that doing 2:1 Laying Leg Curls isn't worth the risk of increased IOPs. In its stead, I replace those with Seated Leg Curls. While the seated version isn't as efficient in working the hamstring muscles because the machine fixes the hip in a bent position, it at least targets most of the back of the thighs. 

Also, the seated machine jumps from 15 lbs to 30, with 15 lb increments. (The prone machine has 5 lb rings to add between stack weights.) Luckily, there are 5 lb blocks that fit on top of the stack. I start light and realize how much easier being seated is compared to lying prone. My head and eyes definitely feel better. I increase the weight after each set until I hit 30 lbs. I don't need to do more than a few sets before the hamstrings feel a little sore. It's enough for today.

Once a week, I like to sample a new meatless meal, usually a variety of veggie burger. This week I pan-fried the new Beyond Meat Burger and was pleasantly surprised not only by its meaty texture and color but also its flavor. There's a nice, vaguely mushroomy aftertaste. Pan-frying gave the patties a slightly crispy edge, yet it was moist and chewy inside. It's a tad expensive as there are only 2 patties per package, which on sale, costs about four bucks. Two dollars a burger, with 20 gms of protein, isn't a bad deal, especially for something tasty. I'll probably buy it again. 

Sunny Cardio Friday


30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.97
Calories 335
HR 155-198 (97, 87, 95)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Push Ups 60
Crunches 30/50
Leg horizontal scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

20 Step Mill
Level 3
Calories 112
Total steps 707
Floors 44
HR 140

HGPU 23

15 Elliptical + 5cd
Intervals
Calories 187
Miles 1.67
HR 149-200 (97)

HGPU 24.5

2:1 Seated Leg Curls
15lbs x 12
20 x 12
25 x 12
30 x 12

Push-ups 50
Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...