Friday, June 28, 2019

A Rock and a Hard Place

I saw my glaucoma doc yesterday and it wasn't great news. While IOPs of 15 are okay for most people, it's too high for someone like me. My doc wants them a good 3 points lower, in the 10-12 range. The results from February's visual field test shows marked progression in the right eye. That's my good eye, the dominant eye with the 20/20 vision. There's progression in the left eye as well, but not as dramatic. Neither my doc nor I want to consider more surgery just yet so she asks me how I feel about an old drug I used to take: pilocarpine. I still have some in my refrigerator. It's like getting squirted in the face with a grapefruit, but then it's fine. I'm okay with it, but...

I ask her about the newer drugs that have just hit the market and she decides we should try Rhopressa (netarsudil ophthalmic solution 0.02%). My only concern is that it is recommended for open-angle glaucoma and I have narrow-angles. It's the difference between a clogged drain and a structurally narrow pipe. A lot of glaucoma research literature suggests that simple procedures like iridotomies (where a laser punches a hole in the iris to allow better drainage) is all that's needed. But I've had that done, as well as other laser surgeries. And I still have this problem.

I have no idea how much this new prescription is going to cost me because the staff at the CVS pharmacy counter need to run the Rx through my insurance program first. Meanwhile, I've decided to make changes to my workout routine. It pains me to delete push-ups but I do. It's not worth going blind for. Because I'm such a gym rat, I'm loathe to completely give up lifting weights so my only recourse is to modify my workouts to make them much more aerobic. That means higher reps and lower weight. I already do that with my final set of Smith Inclined Presses. I'll just have to skip the three sets at 90 lbs and do three sets of 25 reps at 65 instead. Smith RDLs pose more of a problem and I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to fix it. I'm inclined to ditch it totally.

Today is my Cardio Plus workout minus push-ups. I'm relieved and yet guilt nags at me. As much as I hate cardio (I'd never do it if it wasn't for magical elliptical machines), I always feel great afterward-- all sweaty and limber. Pull-ups feel really good too. I get a big rush when I pop my head over the bar for the first 20 reps. Those last three are the challenge. Core is so much easier when it doesn't follow 60 push-ups. I feel guilty. I do more crunches instead. On the StepMill, I sing to myself to keep from getting bored. That and changing my footwork every 60 seconds. It's depressing to watch other folks draped over the console of the StepMill, trudging up the stairs like a doomed man going to his death. That's not me. I look like I'm dancing.

The cross-trainer is available so that's my third cardio machine. Then another set of pull-ups. Each set is the same: the first 20 reps are pie, and the last three I can barely clear my lower lip. Oh well.... Today I realized that doing Walking Lunges right before Seated Leg Curls makes all the difference in whether I can feel my leg biceps contracting during the exercise! Since Walking Lunges target the leg (glutes, quads, hamstrings) and core, it serves as a "pre-exhaust" prior to the isolated hamstring movement of 2:1 Leg Curls. A longer stride during Walking Lunges helps to activate the three leg bicep muscles. The core works to maintain balance -- no one wants to fall on their face while traversing the length of the gym. I can't believe I didn't realize this until today! Now I don't feel guilty about ditching the Prone Leg Curl machine!

I'm here late and there are kids dribbling into the gym. Most of the regulars have already left, including The Mayor. Shiny Shoes is still here though. At least he's pleasant. And not stinky. There are a few guys who leave an aftershave scent wake, which is preferable to the other kind. They seem to be cognizant of the potential for being odorous.

Blazing Hot Cardio Friday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.92
Calories 328
HR 145-192 (85, 97, 85)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Crunches 50/50
Leg horizontal scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

20 StepMill
Level 3
Calories 112
Total steps 701
Floors 43
HR 136

HGPU 23

15 X-trainer + 3 cd
Manual Level 1
Calories 143
Miles 2.11
BPM 145

HGPU 23

Walking Lunges
30+29=59

2:1 Seated Leg Curls
15lbs x 12
30 x 12, 12, 12

Mat Stretch




No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...