Monday, June 24, 2019

Damn I'm Tired

When I get run-down, my body rebels and lets me know in not so subtle ways. I don't just get sick, I'll suddenly develop tender spots on my gums between my teeth--dreaded canker sores! It makes flossing and brushing painful and difficult. Usually, it happens after I've inadvertently burned my tongue, or overindulged with crushed red pepper flakes on my pizza. Eating pineapple, both raw and canned, also does it to me.

Science freely admits that the causes of canker sores are unknown but there are many theories, some involving heritable factors. While lysine can heal cold sores (by preventing the herpes simplex virus from replicating), canker sores appear to be a self-inflicted reaction to trauma and stress, not excluding physical, chemical and physiological factors. Online articles come this close to not stating this might be an auto-immune reaction, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I add lysine to my supplements anyway as I already use B-12. The lysine isn't going to hurt and might help reduce healing time. I'll also add zinc because I've developed a nagging sore throat over the weekend. It's most likely due to an irritating post-nasal drip, which means it's likely to blossom into a head/chest cold if I'm not careful. Or maybe, in spite of all my precautions. There's a queasy stomach bug making the rounds as well as upper respiratory infections. Welcome to Summer!

I've heard people say that there's no need for supplements because you get all the nutrition you need in your food. (Observationally, these people tend to be old and fat. Sorry, but it's true.) I've looked at the nutritional information the government provides for whole foods and it seems that you'd need to exceed your caloric limits in order to attain nutritional balance for a lot of your requirements. I'm a small person, and I'm not going to eat the same amount of food as someone twice my size. I'm also not going to eat things that will cause digestive issues, like apple skins, sunflower seeds, and cottage cheese.

I get plenty of sunshine (to the point of getting sunburnt) yet doctors constantly ask if I'm taking my D3 supplements. For a while, doctors nagged us all to take calcium supplements, something I've deferred for years because there's never been any proof that supplementing with calcium works. Now there is evidence that those supplements are detrimental to heart health. Just as acid-reducers have been implicated in higher mortality rates.

The gym is refreshingly cool this morning because the a/c has been running for a few hours. I either have to come earlier or later though if I want to score an elliptical with a working dashboard. Once again, I'm stuck with the one at the end that clunks and has a broken HR monitor. A weekend of overindulgent eating and drinking, and a lack of quality sleep makes me less than thrilled to do HIIT cardio this morning. My right hand gets a little tingly during the peak phases, and I wish my left foot wouldn't surreptitiously travel up the large pedal until my toes are rammed against the front lip. It only happens with my left foot. The right foot stays anchored, I'm assuming, because it's my power leg and I'm pressing down on it harder. But my toes don't go numb. Yaaay me!

I manage to squeeze out one more pull-up at the Stretch Cage so today isn't terrible. The classroom feels warm and sticky though. The first class starts in 25 minutes so no one has turned the a/c on in here yet. I have my hoodie on because I don't want to sweat on the black foam mats and I don't trust those mats to be particularly clean. You can pick up a lot of skin infections at any gym. Ten minutes later, a trainer comes in and unlocks the a/c control box. I can feel the room get instantly cooler. But outside the room, the gym itself feels warmer as if the cold air has merely been diverted, not increased. I peel off my hoodie at the Smith but I'm still sweating through all my RDL sets.

I see a lot of regulars and some new faces that I'll probably never see again. The only exercise I'm concerned about is Lat Pulldowns. The close grip handle allows me to do this movement without too much damage to my elbows and forearms, but it rolls my shoulder blades weirdly. (I think it might contribute to knots in my upper back.) But really, my only worry is how many decent reps I'll be able to perform after RDLs and RG BB Rows. Pulling the handle to my chest is an explosive movement I find more satisfying than RDLs. Go figure. I finish with DB Cross Hammer Curls. They are necessarily done standing and alternating because of the crossing movement. My forearms burn more after three sets of these compared to RG BB Curls.

Not quite finished. This time I'm able to mount a good elliptical and my ride is marred only by the woman next to me speaking loudly into her phone. No matter how high I turn up my tunes, I can still hear her babbling away in Spanish. It's not like she's not pedaling. I just wish she would do it quieter.

Sunny Monday Pull

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 290
Miles 2.66
HR n/a

Cage Stretch
HGPU 24

Push Ups 60
Crunches Legs Up 40
Bicycles 50
Crunches knees bent 50
Horizontal Scissors 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12, 12, 12

Smith RG BB Row
80lbs x 25 x 3 sets

Lat Pull Downs
85 x 12
100 x 12
115 x 12, 12, 12

Standing Hammer Cross DB Curls
20 lbs x 15 each x 3 sets

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Calories 231
Miles 2.06
HR 15-178 (87)

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...