Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Rethinking Post Workout Nutrition

Magic mirror
distortion!
Anyone who works out is probably familiar with the mantra that you should replenish nutrients within an hour of exercising. If you're focused on building muscle, then obviously you concentrate on easily accessible proteins such as whey. If you're an endurance athlete, there's more emphasis on carbohydrates and electrolytes. As you rehydrate and restore vitamins and minerals, you might want to add caffeine and forestall the antioxidants (such as vitamins C and E). 

Numerous studies promote the use of caffeine prior to working out. (Muscle Heads appreciate the hefty dose of caffeine in pre-workout beverages.) It's postulated that caffeine not only gives you a boost of energy but also allows muscles to utilize fat quicker, which theoretically spares muscle glycogen until later in the workout. Post workout, caffeine enhances the ability of muscles to restore depleted glycogen. I enjoy a cup of coffee before I get to the gym, and usually, because I'm in a rush and I haven't finished, I drink the rest of the coffee when I get back, some hours later. Or I have a cup of strong black tea (fixed with cream and sugar) in the early afternoon. 

However, I've been reading several articles that suggest athletic recovery and performance can be compromised by the immediate use of antioxidants post workout. It's cold and flu season and people are mega-dosing on vitamin C and zinc. But high doses of C can inhibit muscle growth, as well as encourage kidney stones. (And anything more than 50 mg of zinc can lead to zinc toxicity which can interfere with copper absorption.) 

More importantly, antioxidants prevent the body from making the adaptations you want to improve muscle growth and performance. This is almost akin to taking NSAIDs for muscle soreness. It's counter-productive, inhibiting muscle synthesis by dampening the inflammation that signals to the body that repairs are needed. So, take your antioxidants later in the day, not right after your workout. 

Me and my VGs at the Smith
Now I have to review my vitamins because it's easiest for me to take them when I drink the RTD in the car right after I've left the gym! I've been eyeing the turmeric capsules I bought last week. Perhaps I'll take them with dinner. 

Today is a Pull Day so I do my cardio warmup on the elliptical, a few push-ups and a modified core set before wandering back to the weight room. A fellow is using the Smith. I'm actually relieved because that gives me an excuse to start with the Lat Pull Down station. I don't seem to have the arm strength for this exercise if I do RDLs first. Weird, right? 

I manage to do all my sets, so that makes me happy. My neoprene grips are beginning to shred, especially the right hand. I use the Versa Gripps for RDLs and RG BB Rows. The VGs don't protect my hands so I'll develop callouses almost immediately afterward (because I have ichthyosis vulgaris, my skin will callous much quicker than normal skin) but they do allow me to maintain a somewhat better than tenuous grip on the bar. With tiny hands and short fingers, grip strength is one of my biggest weaknesses. 

Normally a thumbless grip is just asking for death or disfigurement, except when it's being used on something with safety measures, like the Smith, or a movement where the bar is not over your head or face or any part of your body. I have something akin to Raynaud's so my fingers will go numb. I've had my palms and forearms go numb. I've had carpal tunnel so bad I couldn't turn doorknobs, open car doors or brush my hair. I use a thumbless grip when it's safe to do so. Like when I'm doing Close Grip Lat Pull Downs, or One-Arm Seated Cable Rows. But not when I'm doing Rip Skulls...

One-Arm Seated Cable Rows were definitely more difficult today because I had to use the thicker handle. (Some people will add special foam pads to the bar to widen their own grip. It's supposed to increase forearm and hand strength, but I'm not a candidate to find out.) However, I was still able to finish with sets of Reverse Grip BB Curls, so everything worked out. 

Tuesday Pull

30 min elliptical + 5 cd
Program 1
Calories 327
Miles 2.91
HR 151-198 (94)

Push Ups 50
Crunches 30/30
Bicycles 50
Horizontal Scissors 50

Lat Pull Downs (close-grip handle)
85lbs x 12
100 x 12
115 x 8, 6+2, 7+1

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12, 12, 12

Smith RG BB Row
80lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

Seated 1-Arm Cable Rows
30lbs x 12
40 x 10
50 x 8, 8, 6 (losing grip)

RG BB Curls
35lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

Quick Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...