Friday, March 22, 2019

My Workout Addiction

The Urban Dictionary defines an adrenaline junkie as "Someone who seeks out and craves thrilling adventures and/or activities to get an adrenaline rush." Furthermore, the dictionary includes "Someone who gets high on adrenaline and possibly addicted to it. They usually supplement this addiction by doing activities that give them adrenaline rushes such as shoplifting, gambling, skydiving, stock market trading and possibly fighting.

I am, most assuredly, the complete opposite of an adrenaline junkie: I'm cautious and have to study every option three ways to Sunday. I have a fear of heights. Roller coasters make me ill. It's very convenient for me that my glaucoma gives me a good excuse not to partake in risky adventures. In fact, bending over is risky for a glaucoma patient. That's the extent of my risk-taking. So I'm not an adrenaline junkie. But there's something deeply satisfying about an intense workout and I'm afraid I'm addicted to that. 

Exercise doesn't just promote a surge of relatively short-lived adrenaline (estimated to last about 20 minutes). There's also endorphins that make you feel awesome, and serotonin and dopamine which are important neurotransmitters that have been linked to depression (when levels are low). I'm not sure which of that potent cocktail, or maybe it's the entirety, I'm addicted to but it not only provides mood enhancement but a calm focus as well. There are only two problems: sometimes I'm too tired to focus later in the day, and like most addictions, it continues to take more effort for the same results. 

I'm disappointed that my kickboxing workouts no longer provide the exhausting exhilaration I'm used to. Because the machine is deteriorating I'm unable to increase my intensity. Doing 15 rounds should be more than enough, but lately, it's not. The last workout of the week, Cardio Day, is the only truly thrilling routine. It's basically back-to-back cardio and pull-ups, so I'm in almost constant motion. 

As much as I say I hate cardio (because I'm bad at it), doing HIIT cardio gives me more satisfaction than most of the other programs. I think it's the endorphins. And endorphins only happen when you push yourself really hard. But you have to push harder each time. In theory, this is good because you adapt and make gains. In reality, you adapt and then you need to push harder or push differently. Well, at least I have Cardio Day. For now. 

Another Dreary Cardio Friday

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 284
Miles 2.64
HR 139-205 (115, 95, 87)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20

Push Ups 50
Crunches 30/30
Leg horizontal scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

15 Step Mill
Level 3
Calories 85
Total steps 539
Floors 33
HR 139

HGPU 20

15 Octane + 2cd
Default setting
Calories 113
Miles 1.54
Steps 2130
Floors 34
HR 130-147
(Numb feet & toes)

Stretch Cage
HGPU 22

Walking Lunges
28+29=57

2:1 Lying Leg Curls
20lbs x 12 each leg x 3 sets

Cage Stretch
HGPU 22

Mat Stretch



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...