Friday, March 15, 2019

Ides of March Workout

Shakespeare immortalized the Ides of March in the tragedy, Julius Caesar. It's not an especially ominous day, unless you're a Roman who has declared himself emperor to an elected senate. Today is unseasonably warm, peaking at 60F with brilliant sunlight glinting off the remnants of snowbanks. Perfect day to do a Cardio Workout. Because of the melting snow, most trails and walkways are wet and muddy. Everyone is still indoors. 

I repeat last week's routine, starting with the Norwegian 4 x 4 HIIT cardio and intersperse hammer grip pull-ups between all my cardio events. Today I manage to get on the Step Mill. Even though the gym is warm, I don't really start to perspire until I'm two thirds through the 15-minute session. Maybe I should increase the time to 20 minutes next time? While I'm up there, blissfully plugged into my tunes, I'm suddenly aware of loud angry voices.

Ballet Dancer is having a screaming match with a big overweight Viking. Gym Owner, who is in the middle of training a client, has to step in to separate the two men. Ballet Dancer continues to yell, and posture. He arches his chest up which brings his arms out like a gunslinger. Fat Viking's buddy has walked his friend off to another corner of the gym. Meanwhile, Ballet Dancer continues to yell and posture, and finally stalks off to the locker room to retrieve all his stuff. Eventually, he leaves. Later I learn that he's canceled his membership and won't be returning. I'd never thought of Ballet as a hothead, but I guess you just can never tell about people just by looking at them. 


After the Step Mill, I do pull-ups and then spend a few minutes on the Octane. Everything is great, except I'm plagued by numbness and tingling in the forefoot of both feet. Eventually, the discomfort dissipates. I'm also suffering the repercussions from yesterday's indulgent meal. Too much salt and fat. And a big glass of afternoon wine left me sleepy last evening and feeling less than enthusiastic today. Maybe I should increase my Vitamin B12? 

Symptoms of Vitamin B12 deficiency are listed as (from WebMD): 



New research, reported in Futurity.org, suggests that this micronutrient might be essential for priming the immune system against common fatal pathogens: Pseudomonas aeruginosa (P. aeruginosa) and Enterococcus faecalis.

Vitamin B12 is relatively easy to acquire (unless you're vegan) since it occurs in common foods such as fish, meat, poultry, eggs, and milk. However, as you age, your stomach produces less stomach acid which makes extracting natural B12 from protein sources much more difficult. B12 in pill form does not require strong stomach acids for proper absorption. I already know I have a sensitive stomach that doesn't produce a lot of acid. It's one of the reasons I take a 100 mcg B12 pill every day. When I feel really tired, I'll take two but spaced apart by several hours and at least a meal or two.

A sports chiropractor once recommended that I supplement with HCl (hydrochloric acid) tablets to aid my digestion but I declined. Perhaps I should've listened... An article from Livestrong.com states that HCl not only aids in the actual food breakdown and activates other stomach enzymes, but also kills potential food-borne pathogens. I'm highly susceptible to "food poisoning," so sensitive that it doesn't take much for me to suddenly feel ill and vomit all my food. I can blame my low HCl levels.

Ides of March Cardio Friday

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 276
Miles 2.59
HR 135-196 (107, 87)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 22

Push Ups 50
Crunches 30/30
Leg horizontal scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

15 Step Mill
Level 3
Calories 84
Total steps 552
Floors 33
HR 134

HGPU 20

15 Octane + 2cd
Default setting
Calories 10
Miles 1.50
Steps 2054
Floors 33
HR 123-139
(Numb feet & toes!)

HGPU 20

Walking Lunges
29 x 2 = 58

2:1 Lying Leg Curls
(Head up due to IOP)
20lbs x 12 each leg x 3 sets

Cage Stretch
HGPU 21

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...