Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Hormonal Humpday Musings

I subscribe to a few different newsletters on topics spanning from pure science and health to fitness and culture. Today, the headline that caught my eye was Osteoporosis breakthrough: Bone mass increased by 800 percent. Whoa! (Click here for a link to the article.) As a middle-age woman, I'm definitely interested. Part of why I exercise so religiously is so I don't break a hip and wind up dying in a nursing home when I get old. Seriously!

There's no family history of such frailty, but we are definitely NOT like our parents or grandparents. Not in our lifestyles, the food we eat, the activities we participate in, the drugs and chemicals we ingest willingly or unwittingly. My parents died younger than expected, my grandparents lived longer than expected. My grandparents were extremely active. My parents, not so much, especially when doctors tell you that you're frail and have to give up a lot of your activities. That's killing you right there.

What the article states is that there is an estrogen receptor in the hypothalamus, which, if blocked, causes the body to increase bone density. What? I find the whole thing a bit perplexing because post-menopausal women (who no longer produce much estrogen) are the most likely to suffer from porous bones. Estrogen in the blood apparently builds bone. The body is a very complicated system.

I'm not surprised that researchers have discovered estrogen receptors in the hypothalamus because I'm using a dab of estradiol cream a few times a week on the inside of my wrists. In menopause, I never got hot flashes or night sweats, but I did develop crushing anxiety coupled with a mind-numbing brain fog. Worse, I lost the ability to orgasm. It wasn't due to a lack of desire or moisture issues. It was simply the complete and total inability to get there. And once I started using the cream, everything went back to normal. What a freaking relief! I've tried to research this further, but the best I can figure out is that the hypothalamus and the posterior pituitary are responsible for releasing oxytocin, which only happens afterwards. Oh, that and dopamine. Love those endorphins!

It's troubling that most "modern" medicine is stuck in the dark ages. My Ob/Gyn had prescribed a topical cream that was absolutely horrible. Not only were there crazy side-effects too gross to detail, it didn't address my actual issues. Eventually I told him I hated the prescription, and was using something else and showed him the bottle of estradiol cream. He didn't have any problems with me going that route because he probably thought the cream's inert (so this is a placebo effect). If I go to the standard menopause support websites, I get advice like "consider behavior therapy or yoga." Yeah, that's not even a little helpful.

The morning sky is bleak and grey and the gym is full. But there's no one on the ellipticals. Great! I need to do my HIIT cardio first. After 10 minutes, two women get on the erg rowers next to me. They never stop talking and barely move their machines. If they were in the water sculling, I'm sure they'd still be sitting dockside. 10 more minutes and they're apparently done. These are two of the three women who cluelessly stood behind me while I was whacking the kickboxing machine. Ugh. I guess they can bemoan all the time they spend at the gym without getting any results because... doubt if they'll say it's because they talk too much and exercise too little.

Several articles have been posted debating the merits of HIIT cardio because we all want a One Size Fits All approach. Yes, it's great for improving your VO2 (oxygen intake and utilization levels) and for increasing stamina. Maybe not as impressive for weight loss as dieting. I've been watching Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's new show The Titan Games because my husband raves about it. Apparently, non-professional, athletic types compete for a chance to square off and win $100,000. It's a bit like American Ninja Warrior except there's less emphasis on hand strength and rock climbing abilities, and more on brute strength and agility. But strength is useless without stamina. I watched a big power lifter dude fade out as his smaller opponent kept going to win the round. Power isn't anything if you're too tired to get to the next obstacle.

Today's a cardio day, but I'm not just a "cardio bunny." I've got sets of pull ups, a few push ups and basic core in the mix. I move fairly quickly from one event to the next. And when I'm done, I'm not dragging my weary body off the floor. Because I don't really feel tired. Tomorrow is my scheduled Whack the Machine day. The lone Nexersys still works, so that's my plan... and another cardio day on Friday, but with additional leg work. Maybe I'll add body weight squats or try pistols again. I'm not sure yet.

Wednesday Cardio

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 272
Miles 2.57
HR average 141 / maximum 200 (low 79-105)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20

Push Ups 60
Crunches 30/30
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

15 Octane + (2 cd)
Default setting
Calories 102
Miles 1.39
Steps 1924
Floors 31
HR av 129 / max 229

HGPU 20

15 min StepMill
Level 3
Total steps 535
Floors 33
Calories 85
HR 120

Quick Stretch
HGPU 20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...