Thursday, January 24, 2019

Tired, But Not Really

Yesterday, a lack of proper sleep manifested itself as dizziness. But that was before I dosed myself with coffee and black tea, and later in the afternoon, another big cup of coffee. I thought about taking a morning nap once I got my son to school, but instead, I worked on an online project that might lead to some paying work. I'm hopeful, but I've been skunked before. Eventually, all the caffeine kicked in and I felt enough focus to have intelligent thoughts. But I was also ravenously hungry. Ugh.

For me, exercise is a natural appetite suppressant. That is, until I'm sitting in my car afterwards, and I want to eat my hand. But it's a hunger that's easily appeased with two sips of a protein RTD or half a Quest bar. So, yesterday I ate a lot more food than I normally would and fully expected that to translate to weight on the scale today. Several online articles explain that exercise causes the body to suppress the hormone ghrelin, an appetite enhancer. (Click here to read one of the articles.) Aerobic exercise also seems to increase peptide YY, an appetite inhibitor. This YY peptide isn't affected by anaerobic (weight lifting) though. If I'm sitting at my desk all day, my body goes into a metabolic hibernation mode and I feel cold all the time (having Raynaud's doesn't help). Unless I'm eating. And my stomach rumbles and growls menacingly because it is, in fact, hungry. Today, I invest the 3 hours to do HIIT cardio and weights and figure I can do more online work later. My time management skills are optimistic.

Again, I'm amused by watching my pulse rate as I do the Norwegian 4 x 4 routine. It's a good 30 degrees warmer today than yesterday, but pouring rain all day with a Flash Flood warning in effect. I get warmed up quickly and suck down half my water bottle. 33.3 oz of water is equal to about 2 lbs on the scale. I'm also still not over my cold, which leaves me sniffling for damp tissues in my hoodie pocket. It's also why I wind up drinking my entire water bottle today -- mostly to keep my mouth and throat wet so that I don't have an ungainly coughing fit.

It's a Pull Day and late enough in the week that there's no one at the Smith. I do my Smith RDLs but almost forget to use my VGs for the last sets. Almost. I wouldn't've gotten far since my wee hands can't hold a weighted bar for very long. I see regulars all over the place. Hollywood is having an in-depth chat with Pissed Off Goatee. M shows up late while Lazy Pedals hands with Big Tank Dude. BTD is wearing a light blue tank like I am, except mine says Gold's Gym and his has the Bodybuilding.com logo on it. The camera in my phone adds a magenta cast to all my photos: blues and purples aren't very accurately portrayed. I don't have Photoshop on my PC laptop so making color corrections is a lot more difficult. My hubs likes the Gimp app, but I find it unwieldy and haven't played with it much.

I was curious as to how my body would handle the Lat Pull Downs after HIIT cardio and Smith RDLs. Better than I expected! I'm surprised and happy. But my form's not great at the end, so there's always room for improvement. My last exercise is T-bar Rows, and I only get 15 reps for the last sets. I don't even pretend to want to do RG BB Curls, even though my elbows feel okay today. But I make myself do another set of HGPUs after cooling down on the Mat. Tomorrow it's a toss-up between pure cardio with additional hammies or kickboxing the machine. I wouldn't be doing pull ups tomorrow though, so I'm better off whacking the Nexersys. I consider that a form of HIIT cardio and it leaves me sweatier than the 4 x 4s. It's probably erroneous thinking, but I don't feel properly worked out unless I've busted a good sweat.

Wednesday

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 273
Miles 2,58
HR 140-198 (113, 105, 88)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20

Push Ups 50
Crunches 30/30
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12, 12, 12

Lat Pull Downs
85lbs x 12
100 x 10
115 x 9, 8, 8

T-bar Rows
Bar x 20
25 x 15
35 x 15
45 x 15 x 3

Mat Stretch
HGPU 20



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...