Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Head Cold Rebound

I woke up late this morning, which was okay because the school district had already announced plans for a 2-hour delay. What I didn't expect was the return of my head cold. It's taken me weeks to get it down to just a bit of the sniffles. Now the very same nostril seems to have the very same lesion, or irritated spot just at the entrance to a sinus cavity. Ugh. I suspect that trekking around for more than 6 hours in sub-freezing temperatures enervated my immune system. My husband took all the ripe avocados yesterday so there was no vehicle for crushed raw garlic. Instead, I ate a small onion. Not raw, but well-cooked with chicken and herbs. My son's not a fan of onions or garlic. I'm hoping he'll come to his senses as he matures.

The roads are crunchy with ice and white salt stains. It's a bit warmer today at 10F when we leave the house. I wasn't able to get some of my doors open to load my gym gear due to the ice, which also meant I wasn't able to properly close them. On the way to school, my dashboard sporadically tells me that my car doors are open -- I just don't know which one. The tire pressure warning light also pops on. Ugh. Next stop is the Valvoline! I'm not due for an oil change for another 200 miles, but at least I'll get my tires re-pressurized, and perhaps even fix that infernal squealing that happens every time I make a sharp turn. They tell me that the serpentine belt that loops around something near the power steering seems dry and brittle. No cracks in it though. I'm concerned that with negative degree temps and winter not nearly over, the belt will actually break at the least opportune time so I tell them to replace it. Replacing a broken windshield wiper blade adds another $20, but I have a $10 coupon and that helps. I drive away with the tire pressure light off, and no discernible squealing sounds. The car is sufficiently warm that I'm able to open and close all my car doors properly. Whew!

I've missed the morning crowd at the gym and I don't mind whatsoever. It's been so cold out that the gym feels relatively warm. I do my scheduled HIIT cardio and amuse myself by seeing where my lowest pulse rate will show up. Counterintuitively, my lowest reading is during the 3rd peak, and not when I first grab the handles. It's always the 3d peak so there's some consistency in the seemingly erratic readings. Pull ups feel relatively easy today. I do a few more than 20.

I'm tempted to do more push ups, but I stick to my plan. Besides, today is a Push Day so no need to tire myself out prematurely. While I'm not particularly concerned about chest and triceps during push ups, I do notice some pressure inside my head. Some of that might be attributed to the head cold, and some of it makes me worry about my glaucoma.

I'm wearing a tank top my husband got me from Boy Scout Camp last summer. I like it because it has a big American flag up front, but the stars have been replaced with upside down canoes. The rest of my routine is rather routine. Smith Inclined Presses, DB laterals superset with Reverse Inclined Flyes, Rip Skulls, then a Mat Stretch. Because I've arrived later in the day, there are a lot more kids in the gym, although I'm fairly certain their school also had a 2-hour delay. I see a few regulars, but of course, I don't actually talk to anyone. Tomorrow I won't have the luxury of sleeping an extra hour, but I'll still go to the gym anyway. It'll be a Pull Day.

Last week I accidentally discovered where all the hidden characters disappeared to on my phone's keyboard. Yeah, I've only had my phone for over 3 years. I'm thrilled to rediscover symbols for cents (¢) and degree (°), but I'm at a loss as to where these reside on a PC keyboard. Instead, I've resorted to opening a new tab for Alt Codes and copying the symbol into this text, then correcting the font and size. But I've especially missed the degree symbol. Do I sound like a nerd? 

Tuesday (head cold relapse)

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 276
Miles 2.59
HR 139 / max190 (low 115/105/85)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Push Ups 50
Crunches 30/30
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press 60°
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
90 x 12, 12, 12
60 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20lbs x 12/15 reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12, 12, 12

Mat Stretch



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...