Monday, February 8, 2016

The Best Laid Plans...

I had planned to go to the gym last Friday. The phone rang at 5:30 am and the pre-recorded voice message said school was on a two-hour delay. Okay... that means I have to bring my son to the school bus stop at 10:30 instead of 8:30. At 7:30 school gets cancelled. I get to shovel my walkway and driveway, and the clearing past our hedges. My son gets to sweep the 6-8 inches of heavy wet snow off my car, and then shovel around my car. Workout done.

Saturday is the Cub Scout's Klondike and we are at FDR Park at 9:15. At least it's sunny, and not too cold. There's enough snow for the sleds to travel fairly easily, as opposed to last year when we had to trudge through knee-high drifts. Where there isn't snow, there's grass, leaves and lots of mud. We're at the Klondike until 3 pm. Later that evening, my son and I make his birthday cake and decorate it like a MineCraft cake. My son places red Chuckles atop the square chocolate fudge cake frosted with orange-scented "buttercream" frosting made of neufchatel cheese, butter, powdered sugar and orange extract. He's very happy with the results.

We take the leftover pieces and make "sheep" and blocks of "turf" using the same frosting mixed with organic unsweetened coconut flakes (for texture) and vanilla extract (instead of orange). Green sprinkles work for the grass. White Good 'n Plenty candies cut in half make sheep eyes, and flattened Swedish Fish are good for lips, especially if you press a small knife lengthwise down the center. Sunday we have 5 boys over to play computer games, and the parents chat in the kitchen with sangria, cheese & crackers, and eventually, pizza. Later, we watch the Super Bowl and eat leftover pizza. I tell my husband that he ought to leave early for Boston because of all the storm warnings.

Today I drive my son to school at 8 am for his "extra" gym class. My husband is just leaving for Boston when I leave for the gym. But as soon as I get myself situated on the cross-trainer, I get a text, then email, then two phone calls and subsequent voice mails that the school district is closing early due to the impending storms. I manage to get in some cardio, a few push ups, pull ups, crunches and planks before rushing off to shower and change. I still have to get milk from the supermarket, fill the car with gas because I only have half a tank and experience has taught me that you always fill your car before any storm (because you never know when you're going to need your car to charge your phone), and go to the bank. All before my son's school bus returns.

More text messages and phone calls that all after school activities have been cancelled as well. No kung fu tonight. The roads are fine. It's only my front steps and walk way that need to be swept. My hubs sends me text photos of Boston. They're getting much more than we are. It's Chinese New Year of the Monkey, and I plan to cook dumplings and long noodles for dinner. Dumplings signify wealth, and long noodles, well, those are for long life. Of course!

Winter Storm Mars is a bust. But there's another storm coming up the coast, Nacio. Is that really a name? It looks like we'll get more snow tomorrow morning, but probably only flurries. As it is, my son's school is closed this Friday (Superintendent's Day) and again next Monday (President's Day). I'm not sure when the kids are suppose to do any actual learning these days...

Monday Super-Abbreviated Workout

SteadyState
Calorie :   72 CAL
Distance: 1.93 mile
Speed :    7.73 mph
Duration : 00:15:00
195.5
Set 1 : 115x21
60
Set 1 : 60 Lap/Rep
Straight/Elbow
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
100
Set 1 : 100 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 50 Lap/Rep
Prgm#3
Calorie :   142 CAL
Duration : 00:15:00
195.5
Set 1 : 115x21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...