Tuesday, February 9, 2016

In Spite of All Precautions...

It was still snowing when we went to bed so I wasn't surprised when the phone rang at 5 am with the recorded message that school was on a 2-hr delay. Cool. I can sleep in. Well, sorta. It means that instead of being at the bus stop at 8:30, we're there at 10:30. It means I have time to sweep the walkway, shovel the driveway, and sprinkle rock salt all over everything. Because even though it'll get to 34F, if you leave the snow, it'll just melt a tiny bit and then freeze solid once the sun drops. It's nearly 11 by the time I get to the gym. It seems crowded.

I do my 10 minute warm up on the elliptical, making sure to pedal backwards for a few minutes to loosen everything up. I still have sciatica but it's just an occasional twinge now, especially when I slide into the car, or if I'm standing for a long time. But, just to be safe, and because it's not completely better, I avoid the things that make it hurt. Like the Step Mill. And front lunge stretches. I've also been taking magnesium, zinc and B-complex vitamins, all the supplements suggested for nerve irritation.
I put a double patch of moleskin on my right first knuckle before I wrap my hands with tape, and then cotton gauze. The pink kickboxing gloves are padded. But I must be punching harder. The machine's data registers more power at the Beginner rounds. I pull back in the later rounds because I'm more focused on Accuracy. Hitting too hard makes the screen blank for at least a second or two, and I can lose Accuracy points from missing a blind blow. Halfway through my session, a young man goes a round with the Nexersys machine to my left. Guys punch so much harder. But after a round, he walks away for a drink. Eventually he returns for another round. But then he's done. Two rounds. He throws some impressive jabs and crosses, and a few knee-ups. But I'd be more impressed if he went the distance. Stamina is the name of the game.

I'm surprised at how red my knuckles are when I peel all my gear off. No matter. I do 15 minutes on the elliptical, and then a quick set of hammer-grip pull ups before I shower and change. My weight has been creeping up (111.6 lbs today). It happens when I bench press. I'm not sure why. But I'm not happy about it, so now I have to be much more conscientious with my food. Oh well...

Tuesday Workout

Warm Up
Calorie :   96 CAL
Distance: 0.85 mile
Duration : 00:10:00

Follow Me
Lap/Rep :  15 Lap/Rep
Duration : 01:00:00
Prgm#3
Calorie :   141 CAL
Distance: 1.26 mile
Duration : 00:15:00
188.7
Set 1 : 111x21

Photos posted for actual stats:


5 Rounds Beginner
I'm happy with the power readings


5 Rounds Intermediate
the 4th rounds got a little crazy


5 Rounds Advance
I'm very happy with today's session

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...