Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Long Weekends and Winter Storms

Even though the temperature was a ridiculous (for February in NY) 47F this morning, there was ice on my front steps and walkway. As predicted, schools opened two hours late. I got to eat breakfast and drink coffee. Temps peaked in the low 50s along with torrential rain that caused major roadways to close due to flooding.

I usually adhere to the NYS Windshield Wiper Law which states if you've got your wipers on, then your lights should be on too. I'm glad Subies come standard with daytime running lights. Unfortunately, my car dims the dashboard lights when the headlamps are turned on so I can't really read the temperature, the time or even how fast I'm going. The one gauge that's missing from my 2010 Forester is how warm or cold the car is. Instead, an annoying blue light comes on for a good two to three minutes while the car is warming up.

Contrary to the latest articles bemoaning misinformed drivers who dare to idle their cars, my car actually behaves badly when it's not fully warmed up, i.e., the blue light is still on. If I put the car into drive, it rushes off on its own instead of waiting for me to apply gas. The car is loud, as if I can hear all the fluids being flushed through the chassis. Weird, right? When the car has been idling for a while, it's silent and well-behaved. I didn't drive anywhere this past weekend when temps plummeted into the negative numbers. The lowest my outdoor thermometer read was -9, but we had a good fire in the wood stove and plenty of warm clothes. We did venture out for a nice supper for Valentine's though, with everyone enjoying a well-seasoned (perhaps a tad too salty?) skirt steak with truffle oil mac 'n cheese. Yum!

My hubs leaves for Boston before the ice storm hits... Where are we now, Winter Storm Nacio? Winter Storm Olympia is torrents of rain, and all I can think is "thank goodness it isn't snow". I feel out of shape and weak after the long weekend, and the gym is really crowded today. It'll be really crowded this entire week because school is closed in that township, and there are HS kids everywhere. I have no hope of getting near the Smith with the small bench so I don't even try. Instead, I focus on the basics: cardio, push ups, pull ups, planks, and then the DB supersets for delts. Done.

My sciatica is slowly getting better. Until I exacerbate it during my workout. I have a tennis ball in my car now and occasionally I put it under my butt while I'm driving. It's really uncomfortable, but not any more than the actual sciatic pain when I drive. Is it because I'm in my mid-50s? Today I get a letter extolling the benefits of hearing aids. WTF? Seriously. When did 50 become decrepit?

Tomorrow I'm going to whack the machine. Yaaaay! Something to look forward to...

Tuesday Workout
(6.45 miles cardio)

Steady State
Calorie :   139 CAL
Distance: 3.91 mile
Speed :    7.8 mph
Duration : 00:30:04
190.4
Set 1 : 112x21
75
Set 1 : 75 Lap/Rep
straight/elbow
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
30
Set 1 : 30 Lap/Rep
Side elbow/straight
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
75
Set 1 : 75 Lap/Rep
35
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12
Set 4 : 25x12
Set 5 : 25x12
Set 6 : 25x12 SuperSet with
37.5
Set 1 : 20x15
Set 2 : 20x15
Set 3 : 20x15
Set 4 : 25x15
Set 5 : 25x15
Set 6 : 25x15
190.4
Set 1 : 112x21
Prgm#1
Calorie :   286 CAL
Distance: 2.54 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
190.4
Set 1 : 112x21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...