Tuesday, February 24, 2015

State of Mind

I peeked at my phone before I got out of bed this morning, and it was discouraging. -11°F. The indoor-outdoor thermometer by our front door refused to give an outdoor reading, displaying only -- in the place of actual digits. When I took the dog for a walk, I was surprised at how few birds there were at the feeder. I suspected they were waiting for the sun to actually rise above the trees and warm the branches before alighting on our patch of frozen ground. Even the dog thought it was cold out and didn't argue with me about coming right back into the house. When I started my car, its thermometer read -4. Whew! Much better than the -8 my husband's car read when he left for work this morning.

I get to the gym and pick the cross-trainer furthest from the front door. Unlike some folks, I tend to wear the same type of workout clothes regardless of the weather, and my all-cotton hoodie isn't warm enough until I've warmed up. I've tried working out in fleece hoodies, but find that I can't ever get the smell out. And I don't want to wear freshly-laundered workout clothes that stink. When I'm desperate, I'll use the Stink Away sports detergent, but it's really expensive, so daily laundry is washed with Tide detergent, laced with Febreze. A good coupon in conjunction with a good store sale makes the detergent affordable.

I'm surprised that I'm able to log more than 4 miles on the cross-trainer. I'm tired. But I did have my instant espresso and I added two diced dried dates to my egg and oatmeal mix. Tired might just be a state of mind. After a quick stretch, I find that the free weight area is fairly empty. Oh joy! I've been alternating between actual RG BB Rows and those using the Smith machine. I do less weight on the Smith because my form is a lot stricter. Today I can use the Smith!

The gym is starting to fill up, and I note three different pairs of young women working out in the weight area. That's so unusual. Each pair is oddly mismatched, with one girl being much stronger than her friend. The pair that catches my eye is the tall spidery girl with midriff tattoos, and her shorter, chunkier friend, covered in a heavy hoodie. They're on the breaker bench. Spider Girl is tall enough to position herself well on the bench, with a good arch under the small of her back, her feet flat on the floor. She's got a pair of 10 lb plates on each side of the Oly bar and she presses it 5 or 6 times. Her friend is smaller and can only bench with a single 10 lb plate on each side. The bar wobbles a lot.

Elsewhere, benches are filling up with people using DBs and plates. When I'm done with the Smith Rows, I look around to see what's available. Waaaay too many bodies in the DB area so I'll do those later. Instead I grab a small V-handle and do Seated Cable Rows. A different pair of girls are on the adjacent Tricep Cable Push Down station. They're probably both a good 9 or 10 inches taller than I am. Their form is pretty good although, again, one is much stronger than the other, even though they appear to be the same height and weight. Odd.

The DB area is still crowded so I get on the Lower Back Extension machine for 3 sets. 210 lbs isn't as hard as I remember it, although I feel tired when I'm done. I can finally claim a bench in the DB area although it's more than halfway down from the end of the DB rack where the 55 lb DBs are. Which means I have to grab it and carry it past all the women on the benches with their 10 lb DBs. I only do 3 sets because this exercise really wipes me out. I'm happy to knock out a few ab movements and then I climb onto an elliptical for another 30 minutes. I love being able to power up at the end of the session and really kick it into gear for the last two minutes.

I skip Dive Bomber Push Ups and Pistol Squats but do everything else for the Mat Stretch, adding a new hamstring stretch that I don't know the name of. I cut the plank short at 90 seconds because it's boring, although I know I could spice it up with stance variations. But I'm lazy. And tired. And all I really want to do is take a hot shower and change. I'm saving Leg Day for Friday so I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow: either Arms, or maybe whacking the Nexersys machine, but taping my hands a bit differently. I'll see how I feel, and just how tired I am. But that's just a state of mind. Because how else would I have logged 6.62 miles today?

Tuesday Cardio and Back Workout
(6.62 miles; 28,710 lbs moved)


Calorie :   151 CAL
Distance: 4.03 mile
Speed :    8.02 mph
Duration : 00:30:09
196
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 80x13
Set 3 : 100x13
Set 4 : 120x12
Set 5 : 140x12
Set 6 : 130x12
Set 7 : 100x25
152
Set 1 : 90x12
Set 2 : 105x10
Set 3 : 120x8
Set 4 : 120x8
Set 5 : 120x8
315
Set 1 : 210x15
Set 2 : 210x15
Set 3 : 210x15
82.33
Set 1 : 55x12
Set 2 : 60x10
Set 3 : 65x8
Calorie :   293 CAL
Distance: 2.59 mile
Duration : 00:30:10

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25

Set 1 : 00:01:30

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...