Thursday, April 24, 2014

Cardio Thursday

Yesterday, D told me that the library provides perks like free museum passes to members. Good thing I got a library card for my son this year. After the gym, I got two free admission passes to the American Museum of Natural History. It might even include the additional cost of the special exhibit on Pterosaurs. Still, even if it doesn't, it saves me at least $35 ($22 per adult / $13 per child). I also read a review about a hand-made noodle shop I'd love to check out in mid-town Manhattan. It specializes in those wonderful chewy fresh Chinese noodles, and soup dumplings. Mmmmm. I'm hungry just thinking about it. But of course, we probably won't have time to check that out.

Because I'm skipping the gym tomorrow, I had extra incentive today to do cardio work. Of course, all the Precors were occupied so that killed any thoughts of doing HIIT before boxing the Nexersys. Instead, I got on one of the LifeFitness ellipticals by the front door and pedaled for 30 minutes, logging in a respectable 3+ miles. I'm usually obliviously singing along (silently) to my tunes but I still notice the gym owner patiently walking a large middle-aged woman through the Nexersys programs a few feet in front of me.

I also notice the really tall, muscular guy halfway across the gym, because he's so big and tall he's hard not to notice. Especially since he's wearing a maroon T-shirt with the word YES in huge block letters. It's probably a sports T-shirt because someone's name is on the back, Something Ryan or Bryan. I notice him today because I noticed him yesterday while I was doing Squats and SLDLs at the Smith. You can see a lot of people in the mirrored wall. I'm not sure but I think he's usually with a big chubby girl who's always on crutches. For months she's been on crutches. Sort of working out. But mostly whining. Lately he's been showing up solo. He's also gotten a lot leaner. If this is the same guy. Maybe I'm just confusing him with the other guy. I'm not good at details like that, not that it matters because I don't really talk to anyone anyway. But then he comes over to the cable station near the entrance, next to the ellipticals. I'm still pedaling furiously and singing to myself, my hoodie pulled mostly over my face. He does a few sets of something or other. I look up and notice his eye in profile as he passes by. Why is he so damn close? Oh, never mind.

A quick jaunt at the Cage, and then down to business. Those three miles make boxing the Nexersys more of a challenge because I'm going to tire and lose my focus quicker. It doesn't help that the machine periodically doesn't register my Lead Sweep or Lead/Power Elbows. It does however, warn me that I am punching too hard with my right Cross. And Power Dig. Enough to stop the machine. Even in the Intermediate Level. My scores aren't as good as last week's, but I figure I can build up my endurance if I continue with an increased cardio routine. Sweat is literally raining off my hair as I drop onto the Mat to strip off my gloves and wraps. I put my hoodie back on when I climb onto the Precor for an additional 20 minutes. I'm hoping to total 5 miles today. Afterwards, I resign myself to Crunches and Knee to Elbow Crunches, and a Mat Stretch. The Dive Bomber Push Ups are unusually hard today. But I figure that since I'm skipping the gym tomorrow, I should get a good stretch. I think it forestalls soreness.

The gym scale reads 113.0 lbs probably because we didn't eat ham last night, although my son claims to be happy to eat ham all week. Instead I made turkey burgers and broccoli. I have fresh kale in the fridge as well, but my son prefers broccoli, saying he only likes kale chips because otherwise the kale is too bitter. Like arugula. I like arugula. Probably because it's bitter.

Cardio Thursday

30 min LifeFitness elliptical = 3.31 miles

Cage Stretch

Nexersys 5 rounds Beginner Follow Me Avatar
  Accuracy 93% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 139%

Nexersys 9 rounds Intermediate Follow Me Avatar
  Accuracy 83% / Strikes 101% / Average Power 114%

20 min Precor elliptical = 1.91 miles

2x50 Crunches
2x50 Knee to Elbow Crunches

Mat stretch with 2x12 DBPUs, splits, upper & lower back stretches

photos posted for actual stats:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...