Monday, April 7, 2014

Tug O War Monday

My son and I went to the gym yesterday but this time I actually let him use a few of the machines once I was sure he fit into them properly. Normally we just do a lot of different cardio machines and then some DB movements. But boys are always attracted to the erector set structures so after 20 minutes on the LifeFitness elliptical, we explored the Cybex stations. He did light sets of 10-12 reps on a seated chest press, a seated row, lying leg curl, leg press, three different ab machines, the pec dec, and a lateral shoulder machine. Then we spent 20 minutes on the rowing machine before doing a few sets of bench presses with just a weighted 20 lb bar. Finally, we went into the empty classroom and proceeded with sets of crunches, push ups and some DB exercises. He also did DB lunges across the room. I was surprised when he was too pooped to do a final 20 minutes of cardio. "Mom, I'm too tired. Can we just go now? I'm starving!" Of course, I hadn't done any of the machine exercises since I was too busy watching him to make sure his form was correct and the weights not too heavy. But the extra cardio, crunches and sit ups seemed to have sapped my enthusiasm for Mondays. And Monday is Universal Bench Press day.

I'm surprised that I can actually get on a Precor today because I've come to expect every cardio machine to be occupied. I mope along at 170-190 Strides Per Minute for 20 minutes just to get warm. I'm not all that excited to be here. I find the yoga blocks wedged between two benches and wonder why people never put anything back. My right shoulder feels odd today, and it twinges when I bench. Not good. I'm a bit worried about benching heavy but don't want to toss in the towel if I don't have to. I'm better when I'm warm, and doing a few reps at 95 and 115 aren't really enough. M seems to be redeeming himself by actually offering to spot me after I set up 125 lbs. Because the shoulder feels odd, I only do one set at 125. Then, I toss on another pair of 5s and get a spot at 135 because I figure that getting 4 at 135 is easier than doing 6 at 125 three times. And I'm happy that I can do it without help on the lift-off. Then I do a few drop sets, culminating in a 20-repper at 95 lbs.

I'm less happy about doing the Inclined BB Press, especially since it's my front right delt that's feeling a bit off. But I don't go nearly as heavy so those movements, although not graceful, don't feel awful. Next are DB Inclined Flyes, followed by DB Lateral Raises and then, finally Bent-Over DB Reverse Flyes. I drop the weights back down to 25s and 30s in deference to the achy delt. My joints are iffy enough as they are without having to suffer injury. I'd rather just drop the weights down. I see B in the mirrored wall. She spends an awful lot of time chatting with M, the Mayor, whoever. I see her and I'm pretty sure she sees me, but luckily she doesn't wander over to talk. I hate having my workouts interrupted. But I like the way my arms and shoulders look. Again, the Mayor doesn't look very happy today, but I'm not interested enough to find out why.

The Jefit app reminds me that I'm doing 5 sets, otherwise I'd probably've only done 3 and called it done. My timing is good though and I clamber onto the Step Mill for 20 minutes afterwards. Then I force myself to do crunches and those awful, awful knee-to-elbow crunches. And a full Mat Stretch. With Dive Bomber Push Ups and a 60-second plank. Still hate it. The gym scale reads 114.0 lbs. Wow. I'm sure two or three of those pounds are water, but all in all, I'm not really that big. When I first met my husband back in 1997, I weighed 113 lbs. Still, I'd like to be leaner. I just have to get my head around potentially losing strength when I drop some size. It's a Tug O' War over goals.

Monday Workout

20 min Precor elliptical = 1.85 miles

BB Bench Press
12x45 lbs (bar)
10x95 lbs
8x115 lbs
6x125 lbs
4x135 lbs
8x115 lbs
20x95 lbs (for fun)

Inclined BB Press
12x45 lbs (bar)
10x65 lbs
8x85 lbs
6, 8, 10x95 lbs

Inclined DB Flye
12x25 lbs
4x12x30 lbs

DB Lateral Raises
12x25 lbs
5x12x30 lbs (-5 lbs)

Bent-Over DB Reverse Flyes
12x25 lbs
5x12x30 lbs (-5 lbs)

20 min Matrix Step Mill = 1092 steps

50 Crunches
50 Knee to Elbow Crunches
100 Crunches
50 Knee to Elbow Crunches

2x12 Dive Bomber Push Ups
60-second plank

Mat Stretch with splits and upper & lower back stretches

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...