Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Cardio is Making Me Fat

Today I cut my cardio down to 20 minutes. It felt weird. But I was hot and sweaty afterwards. Maybe I shouldn't be. I'm not sure how warm I should be for a "warm up". Today I also had my son in tow and the lady in the Child Care room scolded me for running over the 2 hour limit. Ugh. Thursday my son is staying home with my husband because I'm not sure I can complete my Leg Workout (plus showering and changing) in two hours. Still, today was a pretty good Back Day workout.

I grabbed six magnetic discs and used all of them for the last three sets of Reverse Grip BB Rows (122.5 lbs). There's only one more pair of 1.25 lb magnets left so I'll be maxed out at 125 lbs for this exercise unless I can figure out how to use the Olympic bar and plates. Some gyms have heavy duty collars with screw fasteners. They also add a bit of weight to the bar. I could use those if my gym had them. But they don't. Just the spring clips.

I put the Versa Gripps on at 115 lbs, and I'm happy to get three sets at 122.5 lbs. I decided to add One-Arm DB Rows back into my routine, shoving the elbow-wrenching Neutral (Close) Grip Lat Pull Downs to the end of the list. The DB area is remarkably crowded with several guys and a few girls. They're all much bigger than I am, with wider wingspans, making me claustrophobic. I like a bit of space around me when I work out. I start with a 50 and graduate to the 60, trying for sets. I'm always surprised at how tired I am after this exercise. Lower Back Extension is next and I keep it short. Just three sets. I also keep the Lat Pull Downs short, with a warm up set and then three working sets. I'm running out of time but I don't feel bad skipping abs today. I do a slightly abbreviated Mat Stretch, keeping the splits, dive bomber push ups and 60-second plank.

The gym scale reads 112.8 lbs and I'm okay with that. The hot shower feels really good but I'm 45 minutes late by the time I retrieve my son from Child Care. I run into the gym's nutritionist/personal trainer while I'm in the locker room and I ask her about cutting my cardio. She tells me that I shouldn't be able to do cardio for more than 20 minutes. (Unless I'm building endurance, but I'm not a marathon runner. Still, there's something to be said for going distance.) "Give HIIT a look. It's on the Internet," she offers as she heads to the shower. I've been concerned about my body's ability to adapt so well. Now it's working against me, storing fat it thinks it needs to fuel my workouts. I need to toss some confusion into the mix now.

What I don't know is whether I should just do intensive cardio one day a week. Or more. Sounds like a New Year's resolution in the making. I can monitor my weight and body composition and see where I am in a few months. Just in time for my 54th birthday.

Back Workout:

20 min elliptical Hill 6 = 2.25 miles

RGBB Rows: 12 @ 45 lbs / 12 @ 110 lbs / 12 @ 115 lbs / 12 @ 117.5 lbs / 12 @ 120 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 122.5 lbs PB Yay!

One-Arm DB Rows: 12 @ 50 lbs / 10 @ 55 lbs / 12, 10, 8 @ 60 lbs

Lower Back Extension: 13 @ 165 lbs (spaced and lost count) / 2 x 12 @ 180 lbs

Neutral Close Grip Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 lbs / 10, 8, 8 @ 120 lbs Elbows felt pretty good today

Mat Stretch with 2 x 12 DBPUs and 60-second plank


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...