Thursday, December 5, 2013

Hurts So Good

As much as I complain about cardio, I find that I feel much better especially after a grueling double session. Today I punched in Interval 7 for 35 minutes, then because I'm a masochist, I punched in Interval 8. The odd thing is that both ran the same duration, and I made the exact same mileage, but because I had to drop the level from 6 down to 5, the second session burned less calories according to the Precor monitor. It seemed a lot harder than Interval 7. Very odd, but I'm not going to quibble.

When I'm done blowing my nose and blotting the sweat off my chin, I amble over to the Smith. Someone has left plates on the face-high bar but no one claims ownership, so I strip the bar and claim it as mine. I actually remember to shoot a few videos while I'm there as well, but the overhead lights are so bright that they make for poor viewing. I check out my form doing squats with a pair of 25 lb plates on the bar. I know what I look like doing speed squats because I have a grainy video of it. At the heaviest weight, I feel the inside of my right thigh and oddly, the arch of my foot. Weird. I only do one set of 12 reps and I only go to parallel. I only do speed squats for the first two light sets because I've decided to cut back on the volume. I think it's making my glutes bigger and I'm not happy with how snug my jeans are getting. But I feel really good after all of this, like all the gunk has been cleared out of my system. I wish I could feel like this all the time.

I'm not sure now whether I'm doing Stiff-Legged Dead Lifts or Romanian Dead Lifts so I video that as well. I think my form is okay for doing it inside a Smith, but I'm not really sure. At least whatever I'm doing seems to be working my hams and glutes and my back doesn't feel bad, so I'm figuring I'm doing it right. I must be getting stronger as well, because I don't feel like throwing up after each set anymore. Later, in the locker room, I take a quick photo and I'm surprised at how big I look. Damn, am I unintentionally bulking? I'm thinking I might actually need to get leaner and I'm going to have to look into modifying my intake, and my workouts yet again.

While I'm at the Cage, I realize that a new stretch might be causing the problem in the arch of my foot. I'll have to nix that one. I'm already resigned to cutting my volume on the Seated Leg Curls and Extensions. But since I'm trying to balance out quad-heavy thighs with better hamstrings, I do a few more sets of Curls. And then I do Abs. And then the Mat stretch. This time I place the timer right under my face during the plank, and I manage to hold it for a full minute. I'm quite pleased. Meanwhile my hubby is texting me about going to kickboxing class after he and my son are done with tae kwon do. Sigh. I text back Sure, but I'm wishing I hadn't done so much ab work just now. (It actually wasn't a problem this evening as there was a sub instructor and I barely busted a sweat during the class.)

The gym scale reads 111.4 lbs. Yay, headed in the right direction! I plan to do another double cardio session tomorrow, and then box the full 15 rounds of the Follow Me avatar program. Next week is going to be problematic though with two days of early dismissal from school due to parent-teacher conferences. I may have to revert back to the 5 day workout just so that I'm done in time, and I'll probably be happy about it.

Thursday Workout:
35 min cardio Interval 7 = 4.19 miles (375.6 calories) + 35 cardio Interval 8 = 4.19 miles (360 calories) Grand Total = 8.38 miles Yay!

Smith Squats: 25 @ bar (Butt to Heels as fast as I can go) / 12 @ 60 lbs (Butt to Heels as fast as I can go) / 12 @ 80 lbs / 12 @ 100 lbs / 12 @ 120 lbs / 12 @ 140 lbs /12 @ 110 lbs / 12 @ 80 lbs

Smith SLDLs (now I'm not sure if I'm doing SLDLs or not): 12 @ bar / 12 @ 60 lbs / 12 @ 80 lbs / 12 @ 100 lbs / 3 x 8 @ 120 lbs PB Yay!

Cage Stretch

Seated Leg Curl: 12 @ 97.5 lbs / 12 @ 112.5 lbs / 12, 10 @ 120 lbs / 12 @ 105 lbs / 12 @ 90 lbs

Seated Leg Extension: 12 @ 90 lbs, 105 lbs, 120 lbs, 135 lbs

Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Ab Crunch Machine: 100
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs

Mat Stretch with 2 x 12 DBPUs and 60 second plank Yay!, splits, etc

Let's see if this video will embed:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...