Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Keeping Things Fresh

It's been little over a year since I started working out and I've modified my routine a few times, deleting exercises that were either causing injuries or just weren't working for me. Everyone's different so it's important to pay attention to what your body is telling you, and then make the proper adjustments. For example, I used to do dumbbell presses after flat bar bench pressing. I got up to 35 lb dumbbells (each) but I noticed that my back and shoulder blades would knot up painfully afterwards -- requiring my husband to try and massage out my knots and then click my back back into place. I was dislocating my chiclets (a bit too flexible) just doing routine dumbbell presses. But not a problem with flat bench presses. So I replaced the dumbbell presses with decline bar presses. No flyes for me either -- same problem! You have to do what works for you, but you have to pay attention.

This week I've decided to modify my split routine once more: M & Th are chest/delts/triceps and Tu & F are back/biceps. I do abs every day (M-F). I do cardio every day (M-F). Sometimes I go to kickboxing on Tues or Thurs. I went last night. So today I did legs. I haven't done legs in years. And I have my reservations about doing them. First, I have really bad knees. Just genetically bad knees that hyperextend and don't put up with any impact shock so no jogging, no running, no jumping jacks, no biking, no downhill skiing, no zumba. Heck, I don't do any of the jumping around in my kickboxing class, but I've got a pretty decent roundhouse kick for smacking the heavy bag. Second, I like being able to fit into my size 0 pants (even though the waist is a bit too loose) and my thighs are big enough as is. Third, I don't want to hurt myself and put myself out of commission.

So on my first day of legs, I did 45 minutes of cardio at a moderate pace and only got 4.7 miles on the elliptical. Then I went to the stretch cage and stretched, and did a bunch of low-med-high side kicks, followed by another round of stretches, ending with me climbing up the cage and eeking out 10 close grip neutral grip pullups. By now, I've soaked my hoodie through and I'm trying not to drip all over the floor. I always carry a 1.5 liter water bottle and usually finish it by the end of my workout. I don't know how people can work out and not rehydrate!

Then I use the seated leg curl machine for a set of 12-15 reps at 45 lbs, 60 lbs and 75 lbs. I don't like the lying leg curl. Perhaps I don't like having my butt up in the air, but it's more likely that since I've got fairly short calves and long thighs (a traditional southeast Asian body type), I just don't fit into the machine properly.

Then off to the barbell rack and I gingerly take a light weight (30 lbs) and do 3 sets of Romanian deadlifts, which is basically bending over with a straight back and dragging the barbell up your thighs from under your knees as you stand up and arch slightly. The barbells rests over your hip bones at the end. It's not very challenging so I move onto the 40 lb bar and do 3 more sets (12 reps). It's suppose to be a hamstring movement. I'm not feeling it but maybe I'll feel it tomorrow so I'm not going to push my luck.

Instead, I opt to do 3 sets of pistol squats for 6 reps. 6 reps per set is all I can manage before I feel like I'm going to fall over. Pistol squats are basically one leg squats. You hold one leg out (you can support it with your hand) and push up on the remaining bent leg. It helps a lot if you're flexible and can squat down so that your butt is virtually sitting on your heel. (That's probably a southeast Asian thing too.) Hold your leg up as you stand up, and keep your balance. Then switch legs. It's a bit hard on my knees but not as hard as doing regular squats which I won't do. I don't do lunges either.

There's a few sets of situps and leg raises and machine side curls -- all abs. But like I said, I do abs and stretching everyday (M-F). Then I'm done and I spend 10-15 minutes stretching with emphasis on hamstrings, back, shoulders and neck. This is probably the quickest workout I've ever done but I'm starving and can't wait to shower and head out to my car where I can suck down a protein drink. Once I get home, I'll probably make myself a really strong cup of Irish breakfast tea with a bit of honey and a wee splash of milk so that it looks like muddy coffee. And maybe some eggs on toast!

1 comment:

  1. So true that "You have to do what works for you, but you have to pay attention." I used to love pistol squats, but that, along with running, contributed to my knee fail. There was no acute injury, just a gradual wearing down of the cartilage. My knee doc likened it to a favorite t-shirt or pair of jeans that one day just sort of falls apart (or turns into fragile cheesecloth)--no rips, no tears, just a mesh of tiny wear spots and loss of fabric density. I've never been able to look at any of my old comfy clothes the same way since! I do both squats and lunges (forward and reverse) and am careful to not bend my knees more than about 110 degrees. If my knee starts twinging, I back off on either the depth of the flex and/or the weight.

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...