Friday, August 30, 2019

Final Friday

Slowly but surely, I am getting my son up earlier in the day although he's not quite there yet. We get to the gym before noon today and that's progress. It's also the last day my son and I will work out together this summer since his membership expires at the end of the month tomorrow. Even though he's gotten a good eight to ten hours sleep, he claims he's exhausted and yawns intermittently.

We warm up on the elliptical, do our cage stretches and pull-ups, he does pushups, then we wander out to the free weight area. It's loud and noisy because a gaggle of young men are gathered around one of the breaker flat benches. We perform our standard Inclined Bench sets and my son is stronger than when we first started this summer. I'm pleased. We also do Seated Cable Rows. That is more taxing, but my son still agrees to do one more exercise. His biceps are burnt from rowing, so I suggest we try Tricep Press Downs. I prefer the V-bar and we start with that.

My son doesn't like the way the angled handle creates pressure points on the outer hands so we switch to a straight bar handle. I don't like it as much. Afterward, we do 20 minutes of cardio to warm up again. On the Step Mill, my son stops to say his knee hurts. I tell him that it's not necessary for us to do the same cardio machines. "Use the recumbent bike instead," I tell him, figuring it'll be easier on his knees. Instead, he hops on the elliptical and watches videos on his phone. His knee seems fine when we go for our final stretch.

Although I'll miss his company, I'll be glad to get back to my own routine, again focusing more on cardio while trying to maintain some semblance of strength. I'm not a cardio bunny yet.

Combo Final Friday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.88
Calories 322
HR 155-197 (87)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20
Child 8

Child pushups 30
Crunches 50/50
Leg horizontal scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Bench Press
Bar x 12
50 x 12
Ch 70 x 12, 12,
70 x 25, 25, 25

Seated Cable Rows
70lbs x 12 reps
85 x 12 x 3 sets

V-bar Tricep Press Down
20 lbs x 12
30 x 12
40 x 12 (8),
(Ch straight bar 30 x 6, 20 x 12)
SB 30 x 12

20 Step Mill
Level 3
Steps 729
Floors 45
Calories 115
HR 140

Mat Stretch



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...