Friday, August 2, 2019

Just the Basics

My husband got up at 5:30 to go deep-sea fishing with a friend. He'll be gone for the entire weekend and hopes to return with fresh tuna and swordfish. His friend has been nagging him for the past ten years to accompany him, and this is the first time my husband has agreed. He's not sure if won't spend the entire time seasick, but he's good on roller coasters so I'm not worried.

My son was roaming around the house all night, unable to sleep until an hour before I dragged him off to the gym. Figures. Like a recalcitrant baby, he dozed off on the car ride and was hard to wake when we got to the parking lot. I did my HIIT cardio; he loped along on the elliptical, his pulse never rising above 120 bpm. We did our pull-ups and stretching. He knocked out pushups. We did our core exercises. But he felt queasy, no doubt from a lack of sleep.

I tell him that being sleepless might impact his thirst, hunger, and balance but his strength will still be intact. And it was. People think that being sleepless means they'll be weak. Muscles don't lose power but you do lose coordination and focus. Since balance is an issue, we call it "done" and do some mild stretching to finish. I don't want any accidents in the free weight area.

While we're in the classroom, a man comes in to use the jump rope. After a minute of erratic whirling, the rope breaks and little orange and black plastic pieces go flying across the room. Well, that's never happened before. Some of the staff arrive with a broom but no dustpan to sweep up the errant little tubes. The man leaves instead of continuing with the other jump rope. I guess he's afraid he'd break that one too. My son and I continue with our planks.

I got my HIIT cardio, pull-ups and core exercises done. It's the bare minimum. My son feels better later in the day. I tell him not to nap, but to go to bed early tonight to try and reset his sleep cycle. We have to get up early over the weekend to assist another Scout with his Eagle project.

Friday Cardio Core Stretch

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 282
Miles 2.61
HR 133-195 (105, 97, 81)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23
Child 8
Child Push Ups 30

Crunches Legs Up 50
Bicycles 50
Crunches knees bent 50
Horizontal Scissors 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Mat Stretch



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...